[Infowarrior] - SOPA Sponsors: It protects the troops

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Nov 18 08:09:41 CST 2011

Here's an old political trick that essentially comes down to  "if you vote against SOPA you are voting against our troops and putting them in harms way despite the bill having absolutely nothing to do with the military."  Shameful political ploy.   -- rick

http://www5/17200316783/sopa-sponsors-pass-sopa-to-protect-troops-everyone-else-wtf.shtml

SOPA Sponsors: Pass SOPA To Protect The Troops; Everyone Else: WTF?

< - >

So what does SOPA have to do with the troops? Well, they try to stretch the bill by noting the following:

Trafficking in counterfeit military goods -- H.R. 3261 creates a strong deterrent to those who knowingly risk the lives of members of our armed forces and law enforcement by significantly increasing criminal penalties on those who knowingly traffic in counterfeit military goods or goods sold to law enforcement.

......Um. Sorry, but it's already very much against the law to sell counterfeit military goods. SOPA changes nothing there, and certainly won't deter anyone. This is just the ultimate cynical ploy by some Congressional Representatives who appear to have no shame at all, trampling on the good name of our military to pass a bailout bill for Hollywood.