[Infowarrior] - Fear of the unfamiliar, again.

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Mar 13 16:42:44 CDT 2011

Part of me faults the passengers for doing this in the "New Normal" (idiotic as that concept of a "New Normal" is) but the bigger part of me is this representing another case of Americans fearing that which is new or unfamiliar to them.  --- rick

Pilots lock down cockpit over praying passengers_
http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_7a9460e1-bc6d-5c72-9de9-f02e3f44c2c1.html

Pilots on an Alaska Airlines flight locked down the cockpit and alerted
authorities after three passengers conducted an elaborate orthodox Jewish
prayer  ritual during their Los Angeles-bound flight.

Airline spokeswoman Bobbie Egan says the crew of Flight 241 from Mexico
City  became alarmed Sunday after the men began the ritual, which involves
tying  leather straps and small wooden boxes to the body.

FBI and customs agents, along with police and fire crews, met the plane at
the gate at Los Angeles International Airport.

Airport police say two or three men were escorted off the plane, questioned
by the FBI, and released. No arrests were made.

_Copyright 2011 The Associated  Press._