[Infowarrior] - Feds on Domain Seizures: If We Give It Back, They'll Infringe Again

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jul 13 09:44:55 CDT 2011

(c/o JH)

Feds Respond To Rojadirecta's Challenge To Domain Seizures: If We Give It Back, They'll Infringe Again

from the do-they-not-understand-the-internet dept

Last month, we were the first to report on the fact that the Spanish company Puerto 80 had petitioned the US governmentto have it return its domains, which were seized, under questionable reasoning, by Homeland Security's Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) division. The government, who as detailed in that petition has been trying to avoid any kind of legal fight, first got the court to allow it to delay filing a response. But the time finally ran out, and the Justice Department, led by US Attorneys Preet Bharara and Chris Frey -- who have been the DOJ pointmen on these seizures --have officially responded, claiming that the domains should not be given back or (*gasp*) infringement might occur again!

< -- >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110713/00485515074/feds-respond-to-rojadirectas-challenge-to-domain-seizures-if-we-give-it-back-theyll-infringe-again.shtml