[Infowarrior] - EFF Reverse Engineers CarrierIQ

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 23 07:45:56 CST 2011

Analyzing Carrier IQ Profiles

As we explained in our post on Carrier IQ's architecture, one of the main factors in determining what the Carrier IQ stack does on a particular phone is the "Profile" that is running on that device. Profiles are files that are typically written by Carrier IQ Inc. to the specifications of a phone company or other client, and pushed to the phone by Carrier IQ Inc. using its own command and control infrastructure. Profiles contain instructions about what data to collect, how to aggregate it, and where to send it.

To create transparency for the public that has been monitored by the more intrusive variants of this software, we will need a comprehensive library of these Profiles, and to know which ones were pushed to which phones at what times. Profiles are stored in different locations in different versions of the Carrier IQ software, and in many cases, a phone may need to be jailbroken or rooted before the profile can be extracted.

If you have a rooted/jailbroken phone, and can find a Profile on it, please send us 1) a copy of the Profile, 2) which phone and network it was from, and 3) where on the phone's file system you found it. You can send us this information in an email at iqiq at eff.org or in a git remote we can pull from. [UPDATE: there is a thread at xda-developers.org discussing possible methods for finding profiles on phones]

< -- >

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/12/analyzing-carrier-iq-profiles