[Infowarrior] - FBI chasing down WoW gold farmers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Apr 28 06:52:11 CDT 2011

Yeah, okay .... that's definitely something they need to be working on right now.  I'd say "Epic Fail" but we are talking about the Bureau after all.   --- rick

FBI Hunting Down World Of Warcraft Gold Farmers?

from the that'll-keep-us-safe dept

Just as the World Bank has put out an entire research report about the economics of virtual gold farmers (they claim it's a $3 billion plus industry, and has substantial impact on developing economies), it appears that the FBI is taking an interest in the practice as well. Just last month, the FBI apparently raided a Michigan home in search of virtual World of Warcraft gold. The university students who lived in the raided apartment claim that the FBI targeted the wrong place, and say that neither of them play World of Warcraft, but all of their computer equipment was seized. There aren't full details on the warrant, but the accusation suggests that there was some sort of virtual gold buying and selling fraud going on. I recognize these things can happen for quite a bit of money, but is this really the best use of the FBI's time?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110408/03292413827/fbi-hunting-down-world-warcraft-gold-farmers.shtml