[Infowarrior] - The End of In-Flight Wi-Fi?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Nov 8 12:34:27 CST 2010

The End of In-Flight Wi-Fi?

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/the_end_of_in-f.html

Okay, now the terrorists have really affected me personally: they're forcing us to turn off airplane Wi-Fi. No, it's not that the Yemeni package bombs had a Wi-Fi triggering mechanism -- they seem to have had a cell phone triggering mechanism, dubious at best -- but we can imagine an Internet-based triggering mechanism. Put together a sloppy and unsuccessful package bomb with an imagined triggering mechanism, and you have a new and dangerous threat that -- even though it was a threat ever since the first airplane got Wi-Fi capability -- must be immediately dealt with right now.

Please, let's not ever tell the TSA about timers. Or altimeters.

And, while we're talking about the TSA, be sure to opt out of the full-body scanners and remember your sense of humor when a TSA officer slips white powder into your suitcase and then threatens you with arrest.