[Infowarrior] - I agree with Glenn Beck. For once.

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue May 4 22:30:35 UTC 2010

(Beck's comments at the end of these extracted quotes. Wonder of wonders, eh?   -rick)

Times Square bombing arrest allows GOP to revive 'Miranda' debate
By Paul Kane, Shailagh Murray and Matt DeLong

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/05/gop-seizes-on-times-square-arr.html?hpid=topnews

After the news late Monday that federal authorities arrested Faisal Shahzad in connection with Saturday's botched car bombing in New York's Times Square, congressional Republicans wasted no time in reviving the debate on whether to read Miranda rights to a terror suspect. The Miranda issue rose to prominence in the aftermath of the failed attempt to blow up an airliner on Christmas Day. It was reported that the suspect, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, stopped providing information after he was read his rights following 50 minutes of interrogation.

< - >

"If someone acts like a terrorist and cooperates with people intent on war against the United States, they should be treated as terrorists and not as a common criminal. And no, they should not be read their Miranda rights," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), who along with McCain is senior Republican on the Armed Services Committee.

< - >

Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), appearing on Fox News, suggested changing the law to strip the citizenship -- and in turn the rights afforded by the Constitution -- from any American who becomes involved with terrorism.

I think it's time for us to look at whether we want to amend that law to apply it to American citizens who choose to become affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, whether they should not also be deprived automatically of their citizenship, and therefore be deprived of rights that come with that citizenship when they are apprehended and charged with a terrorist act.

< - >

Meanwhile, conservative firebrand talk show host Glenn Beck came out in favor of reading Shahzad his Miranda rights.

"He is a citizen of the United States, so I say we uphold the laws and the Constitution on citizens," the bombastic Fox News host said to the stunned co-hosts of "Fox and Friends". "If you are a citizen, you obey the law and follow the Constitution. [Shahzad] has all the rights under the Constitution."

"We don't shred the Constitution when it is popular," Beck added. "We do the right thing."