[Infowarrior] - AT&T's latest cell scam

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Mar 25 12:57:35 UTC 2010

AT&T Tries to Trick Customers into Paying More to Use Less
	• By: Nick Mokey  •
	• March 24, 2010

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/att-tries-to-trick-customers-into-paying-more-to-use-less/

Cell phone data networks are swamped. Now carriers want you to pay
more money – and use your own resources – to help them deal with it.

AT&T has made little secret of the fact that iPhone users’ voracious
appetite for Internet bandwidth has loaded down its 3G network to its
breaking point. But rather than upgrading its 3G network like T-
Mobile, or going full throttle on 4G deployment like Sprint and
Verizon, AT&T plans to fix the problem by… asking consumers to bear
the load for them, and charging them money for the privilege.
The company’s new 3G MicroCell acts like a miniature cell phone tower,
routing calls through your home Internet connection – the one you
probably pay at least $30 a month to access – rather than burdening
AT&T’s 3G network with your traffic – which you will continue to pay
at least $30 a month for.

How nice of you.

In exchange for taking your weight off its creaking, overburdened
network, AT&T will happily charge you $150 for the 3G MicroCell, and
continue to deduct minutes from your plan when you use it, even though
you’re paying another company to handle your traffic, and paid out of
pocket for the device to do it. If you want to reap any benefits, AT&T
will stop deducting minutes from your plan whenever you’re in range of
the MicroCell – in exchange for slapping another $20 bill in its hand
every month.

The story of Tom Sawyer tricking another boy into whitewashing a fence
for him and collecting an apple in payment comes to mind, but I can do
one better.

Imagine a bus company that charges you $100 a month for a bus pass,
but the busses get so crowded you can barely use them. The bus
company’s solution: Offer to sell you a bicycle for $150, so you can
help free up room on its  busses by not using them all the time, even
though you’ll continue to pay $100 a month as if you did.

It almost offends me that AT&T thinks we’re dumb enough to fall for
this, but I know many consumers will be. By promising better reception
around the house with the 3G MicroCell, as the company is bound to do
in advertising it, many cell customers will happily shell out $150 for
one, unaware of the traffic they’re moving to their home Internet
connections, or the favor they’re doing to AT&T. Just like Tom
Sawyer’s pal.

In AT&T’s defense, it’s no guiltier than any other carrier in
attempting to dupe us with the 3G MicroCell, which is part of a larger
class of electronics known as femtocell devices. Verizon’s Wireless
Network Extender, launched last year, costs a whopping $250, doesn’t
provide 3G, and won’t even let you stop others – like neighbors with
Verizon plans – from leeching off your service for better reception.
Sprint’s Airave pulls similar shenanigans.

I don’t mean to vilify femtocell technology. It’s actually marvelous
stuff that could help uncongest airwaves and speed up mobile Internet
access, but AT&T and others haven taken a completely backwards
approach to implementing it. Ultimately, these devices should be free
to anyone who agrees to actually use it – subsidized by carriers in
exchange for the lightened load on their networks. And because you
cost carriers less, not more, when you use them, unlimited calling
with no minute allotment should be a given on any femtocell device as
an incentive to use it as much as possible, not an extra you pay
monthly for.

As long as evil geniuses with big marketing budgets get their way,
that won’t happen. In the mean time, the best you can do is stay as
far away from Tom Sawyer’s whitewashing scheme as possible, and wait
until he offers a real incentive to pick up the brush.

Maybe I’ll flick off the Wi-Fi on my iPhone in protest and soak up
even more of AT&T’s precious 3G while at home. Just kidding. No act of
protest is worth voluntarily subjecting myself to that network more
than necessary.

If you would like to leverage your home Wi-Fi connection to make cheap
calls without scratching AT&T’s back while you’re at it, make sure to
check out our list of iPhone VoIP apps that can help you pay for fewer
minutes and get more.