[Infowarrior] - Pew Report: State of the News Media 2010

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 15 11:28:03 UTC 2010

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2010/

The State of the News Media 2010 is the seventh edition of our annual
report on the health and status of American journalism.

Our goals are to take stock of the revolution occurring in how
Americans get information and provide a resource for citizens,
journalists and researchers to make their own assessments. To do so we
gather in one place as much data as possible about all the major
sectors of journalism, identify trends across media, mark key
findings, delve deep into each sector and note areas for further
inquiry.

This year’s report is the most interactive it’s ever been, and
contains a number of new features. A Year in the News Interactive, for
instance, allows users to explore for themselves our content database
of some 68,000 stories from 55 different news outlets. Users can look
at what they want, answer their own questions and create their own
charts.  Who Owns the News Media is a new multi-dimensional directory
of the more than 120 companies that own news properties in the
United    States that allows users to explore and compare companies by
sector, revenue, and audience. This year’s study also includes a new
survey of the economic attitudes of online news consumers. The report
also contains a detailed analysis of the online  behavior of visitors
to news websites and a study of the most highly regarded community
journalism websites in the country. There is also, for the first time,
a content analysis of blogs and social media, and explores the extent
to which their news agenda relates to, differs from, and draws on
traditional media. Coming in April is a survey of news executives on
the future of their industry.

Also new to the report is a glossary of key terms for each media
sector, as well as a central compilation of sidebars and
backgrounders, accessible by hyperlink throughout each chapter.

This report is the work of the Pew Research Center’s Project for
Excellence in Journalism, a nonpolitical, nonpartisan research
institute. The study is funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts and was
produced with the help of a number of authors and collaborators,
including Rick Edmonds of the Poynter Institute and a host of industry
readers.

The full report is comprehensive, totaling nearly 180,000 words.

Click here for information about printing the report.

Published March 15, 2010

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2010/