[Infowarrior] - Securityfocus.Com Changes

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Mar 11 13:59:39 UTC 2010

Change in Focus
SecurityFocus Staff, SecurityFocus 2010-03-10

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11582
Since its inception in 1999, SecurityFocus has been a mainstay in the
security community. From original news content to detailed technical
papers and guest columnists, we’ve strived to be the community’s
source for all things security related. SecurityFocus was formed with
the idea that the community needed a place to come together and share
its collected wisdom and knowledge.

At the time, the security community was fairly fragmented with
mainstream security information in its infancy. If you worked in
security, it was difficult and frustrating to find the information you
were looking for because it was scattered across a small number of
mailing lists, sites and publications. There was no single place where
a community of security professionals could go to get the information
they needed and there was a unique opportunity to build a community
portal that would provide its users with a destination and voice.
At SecurityFocus, the community has always been our primary focus. We
knew then as we know now that providing the community with a place to
share information, discuss new ideas and share technologies was
critical to staying in touch with the constantly evolving threat
landscape. With its purchase of SecurityFocus in 2002, Symantec became
one of the first vendors to recognize the importance of maintaining a
close relationship with the security community to the point where they
made a commitment to its founders to continue to operate SecurityFocus
as an independent company with the same mandate – “It’s all here – and
it’s all free.”

The threat landscape has changed significantly over the past 10 years
and so has the community. What was once a dispersed though vocal
collection of users, researchers and analysts has become a much larger
and more cohesive community of experts who have endeavored to make
security more than just an after-thought. Vendors have also changed
significantly, to the point where entire divisions are devoted to
security research and education. Today, more information is shared
openly within the community than ever before through the use of blogs,
threat analysis, and whitepapers as vendors increasingly work with the
community to solve today’s security challenges. The enormous growth in
dedicated portals and alternative news sources such as social
networking sites allows us to get our security news and information
from a variety of sources and as a result, it makes sense for
SecurityFocus to evaluate how best to serve its readers.

With this in mind, the time is right for SecurityFocus to focus more
on its core components. Beginning March 15, 2010 SecurityFocus will
begin a transition of its content to Symantec Connect. As part of its
continued commitment to the community, all of SecurityFocus’ mailing
lists including Bugtraq and its Vulnerability Database will remain
online at www.securityfocus.com There will not be any changes to any
of the list charters or policies and the same teams who have moderated
list traffic will continue to do so. The vulnerability database will
continue to be updated and made available as it is currently.
DeepSight and other security intelligence related offerings will
remain unchanged while Infocus articles, whitepapers, and other
SecurityFocus content will be available off of the main Symantec
website in the coming months.
While the news portal section of SecurityFocus will no longer be
offered, we think our readers will be better served by this change as
we combine our efforts with Symantec Connect and continue to provide a
valuable service to the community. As always, if you have any
questions or concerns you can reach us at editor-at-securityfocus-dot-
com.