[Infowarrior] - thoughts on net policy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Mar 11 12:56:00 UTC 2010

(c/o a friend discussing a chat he had with one of his friends, but
worthy enough to post here)

A fellow security-geek friend of mine has long compared the current US
approach towards the Internet to China's innovation of black powder:
One nation invents something that is destined to change the world, and
the lives of everyone in it forever after - and that nation then
disregards its invention, leaving further innovation and refinement
(and the POWER associated with the original invention) to anyone else
who wants to pick it up and run with it.

The Chinese invented gunpowder, and said "that's good enough. No need
to develop it further." Then some genius on another continent said
"hmm, this stuff can make a projectile REALLY fly - what a great new
weapon!"

We invented the Internet, and now we're doing everything we can to
stifle its growth in this country. The South Koreans are flat-out
obliterating us (and the rest of the world) in broadband penetration,
and we're... not even in the top 15.