[Infowarrior] - Retired Army general to lead TSA

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 8 19:19:17 UTC 2010

Retired Army general to lead TSA
Updated 1:57 p.m. ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/03/retired_army_general_tapped_to.html

President Obama on Monday tapped retired Army Major Gen. Robert A.
Harding to lead the Transportation Security Administration.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is scheduled to make the
announcement during a noontime appearance with Harding at DHS
headquarters.

“I am confident that Bob’s talent and expertise will make him a
tremendous asset in our ongoing efforts to bolster security and
screening measures at our airports," President Obama said in a
statement. "I can think of no one more qualified than Bob to take on
this important job, and I look forward to working with him in the
months and years ahead.”

But Harding is Obama's second choice for the post after Erroll
Southers withdrew from consideration in January following reports that
he may have misled Congress about an incident in the late 1980s
involving a background check of the boyfriend of his ex-wife.

Harding retired from the Army in 2001 after 33 years of military
service, according to the White House. He served as deputy to the
Army's chief of intelligence and, previously, served as director for
operations in the Defense Intelligence Agency. In 2003, he founded a
defense and intelligence contracting firm, Harding Security
Associates, which employs more than 400 people, according to the White
House. Harding currently serves on the boards of directors of the Wolf
Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts and the Association of Former
Intelligence Officers.

If confirmed, Harding will likely help settle the issue of whether TSA
employees should earn collective bargaining rights, an issue that led
Republican lawmakers to place a hold on Southers' nomination.

Federal union leaders said they knew little about Harding, but hoped
to meet with him soon to discuss labor concerns.

“We haven’t had the opportunity to research this candidate as we have
some of the other White House nominees,” said American Federation of
Government Employees President John Gage “However, if the
administration believes him to be the best person to lead TSA, we will
trust that decision until given a reason not to.”

National Treasury Employee Union President Colleen M. Kelley also said
she didn't know Harding, but "it appears his lengthy intelligence
background would bring an important and useful perspective to the
agency’s efforts." Both unions hope to win the right to represent TSA
workers and said earning collective bargaining rights remained their
top concern.

Harding would join TSA in the aftermath of the thwarted Christmas Day
bombing attack and amid Congressional concerns with several recent
reports of passenger mistreatment by TSA officers. The agency also
continues to deploy 150 new body-scanning machines at major American
airports.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) urged swift confirmation
for Harding.

"This nomination should not be subject to partisan delay tactics,"
Reid said in a statement. The leaders of the Senate Commerce and
Homeland Security committees, which will hold hearings on the
nomination, also pledged to move quickly on Harding.