[Infowarrior] - Return of the Facebook Snatchers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jul 27 07:39:56 CDT 2010

(URL c/o JH)

< - >

it turns out, by heading to https://www.facebook.com/directory, you can get a list of every searchable user on all of Facebook!

My first idea was simple: spider the lists, generate first-initial-last-name (and similar) lists, then hand them over to @Ithilgore to use in Nmap's awesome new bruteforce tool he's working on, Ncrack.

But as I thought more about it, and talked to other people, I realized that this is a scary privacy issue. I can find the name of pretty much every person on Facebook. Facebook helpfully informs you that "[a]nyone can opt out of appearing here by changing their Search privacy settings" -- but that doesn't help much anymore considering I already have them all (and you will too, when you download the torrent). Suckers!

< - >

But it occurred to me that this is public information that Facebook puts out, I'm assuming for search engines or whatever, and that it wouldn't be right for me to keep it private. Why waste Facebook's bandwidth and make everybody scrape it, right?

So, I present you with: a torrent! If you haven't download it, download it now! And seed it for as long as you can.

This torrent contains:

	• The URL of every searchable Facebook user's profile
	• The name of every searchable Facebook user, both unique and by count (perfect for post-processing, datamining, etc)
	• Processed lists, including first names with count, last names with count, potential usernames with count, etc
	• The programs I used to generate everything

< - >

http://www.skullsecurity.org/blog/?p=887