[Infowarrior] - ZeroHedge offers to support Wikileaks concept

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jul 11 19:31:40 CDT 2010

(via Cryptome)

Subject: WikiLeaks support, etc.
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:07:13 -0500

*** BEGIN PGP DECRYPTED/VERIFIED MESSAGE ***

Dear Cryptome:

We at Zero Hedge have watched with interest (and some horror) the Wikievents of the last several weeks. Of particular notice to us recently has been the complete inability (or unwillingness) of Wikileaks to release any  new material not related to the self-promotion of its ubiquitous figurehead "Julian Assange." Despite a massive budget, it would seem more than an order of magnitude larger than ours, the Wikileaks enterprise seems totally unable to do more than tweet pleas for patience while sending Mr. Assange to, e.g., Brussels to debate freedom of expression. Where are the millions of documents leakers risked to liberate? This is quite sad for us to see, as we were some of the earliest and most enthusiastic supporters of Wikileaks, as individuals as well as under the umbrella of "Zero Hedge."

We currently run and maintain our own servers for Zero Hedge and see in excess of 500,000 hits per day on normal days, with spikes to nearly a million if something interesting is going on. We've recently upgraded our infrastructure (multi-homed in some of the same jurisdictions Wikileaks uses, as it happens) to deal with our own growth. Consequently, we have quite a bit of spare capacity and bandwidth right now, as well as sufficient financial means to secure same for the foreseeable future. We are long time Cryptome readers, and fairly crypto and INFOSEC savvy (we even have an early member or two from the original cypherpunks list among our senior staff, though none connected with Wikileaks). We manage sensitive sources on a nearly daily basis.

We fight any number of frivolous takedown and legal challenges from well resourced institutions (investment banks, hedge funds, etc.) monthly. As individuals and an organization, we seek to avoid, rather than ravenously pursue, press of any kind. (We get enough headaches from the media without even trying, thank you very much). Moreover, while we are focused on finance, we are philosophically aligned with the ORIGINAL premise and mission of Wikileaks: The liberation of raw data. Our "manifesto" might give you an idea of the sorts of goals that drive us:

http://www.zerohedge.com/about

We have no doubt that directly contacting Mr. Assange would serve no real purpose, as it would seem control of even an inactive Wikileaks is something Assange would never willingly relinquish. Nor, given the allegations about the personal use of donor funds, would we be willing to associate ourselves with Mr. Assange until a full accounting were made. We seriously doubt this will ever come to pass. The figures currently claimed by the organization as needed funds are FAR in excess of what is even plausibly required for such a firm- given our experience running what is now a "Top 100" Technorati site (and consistently Top 1 or Top 2 in the Business category) for the last 18 months.

Unfortunately, it seems impossible to contact Wikileaks directly without passing an Assange filter first, so we have not bothered to offer our help directly to Wikileaks. We would, however, be quite interested in hearing from other members of the organization how we could help return Wikileaks to its roots. At the moment we aren't sure what form that might take. Clearing house for data? Secure submission node? Research and analysis? Managing sources and source material? Whatever the case, it is a huge pity to watch the continued squandering of Wikileaks, both as a concept and an execution. Perhaps, given your apparent status as an interim contact point for the Wikileaks rank-and-file, this note might be helpful.

Please feel free to post this material as you see fit under the header "An Open Letter to Wikileaks Insiders."

"Marla Singer"
co-founder
Zero Hedge
http://www.zerohedge.com
marla[at]zerohedge.com

PGP Key:

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
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=3irm
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

*** END PGP DECRYPTED/VERIFIED MESSAGE ***