[Infowarrior] - Senator To NFL: Drop 'Who Dat' Claim Or Sue Me

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jan 30 00:46:29 UTC 2010

I rarely praise politicians, but a h/t to Sen Vitter for this.   --rf

Senator To NFL: Drop 'Who Dat' Claim Or Sue Me

David Vitter Demands League Change Position On Trademark

POSTED: 1:22 pm CST January 29, 2010
UPDATED: 6:27 pm CST January 29, 2010

http://www.wdsu.com/sports/22378675/detail.html

NEW ORLEANS -- U.S. Sen. David Vitter has jumped into the recent
controversy over NFL claims that it has exclusive rights to the
Saints' fan term, "Who Dat."

Vitter is demanding that the league change its position or "sue me."

Vitter sent a letter Friday to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, urging
the league to "drop this obnoxious and legally unsustainable position
and instead agree that 'Who Dat' is in the public domain, giving no
one exclusive trademark rights."

The NFL sent cease and desist letters this week to some local
businesses selling T-shirts using the term, including the Fleurty Girl
shop on Oak Street.

The senator said he's having his own T-shirts made that say, "WHO DAT
say we can't print Who Dat!" for widespread sale. He demands that the
NFL change its position or file a lawsuit against him.

"I am personally printing 'Who Dat' shirts and making them widely,
commercially available. So if they are going to start suing people,
they need to put me on the list," he said.

"'Who Dat' was probably first heard in New Orleans minstrel shows well
over 130 years ago," Vitter said in his letter. "Much more recently,
but before it was used in connection with the Saints, it was used as a
rallying cry by St. Augustine High School in New Orleans. In the 1980s
it was adopted by Saints fans in a completely spontaneous way. Only
later did any legal persons, including the Saints and the NFL, try to
claim it through registration."

Vitter said claiming ownership over such a ubiquitous Louisiana phrase
is like trying to claim ownership of "laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Shop owners said they didn't want to violate any laws or league
regulations.

"If it's not public domain, I just need to know 'Who Dat' gets the
check," said Lauren Thom, of Fleurty Girl.
Copyright 2010 by WDSU.com. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.