[Infowarrior] - The ACTA Guide, Part One: The Talks To-Date

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 25 20:59:46 UTC 2010

The ACTA Guide, Part One: The Talks To-Date

The 7th round of Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement negotiations
begins tomorrow in Guadalajara, Mexico.  The negotiation round will be
the longest to-date, with three and a half days planned to address
civil enforcement, border measures, the Internet provisions, and (one
hour for) transparency.  Over the next five days, I plan to post a
five-part ACTA Guide that will include sourcing for much of the
discussion on ACTA, links to all the leaked documents, information on
the transparency issue, and a look at who has been speaking out.

I start today with a lengthy backgrounder for those new to ACTA or
looking to catch up on recent developments.  There are several ways to
get up-to-speed.  The recent Google-sponsored debate was very
informative, particularly on the transparency issue.  There has been
some helpful mainstream media coverage from the Washington Post
(Copyright Overreach Takes a World Tour, Q & A on ACTA) and the Irish
Times (Secret agreement may have poisonous effect on the net).  The
Command Line ran a podcast on the topic last week and I've posted
interviews on ACTA I did with Search Engine and CBC's As It Happens.
Last last year I also created a timeline that tracks the evolution of
ACTA and I gave a talk on ACTA last November that highlights the major
developments in about 20 minutes (embedded below).

< - >

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4725/125