[Infowarrior] - Google's Nexus One censors cuss word

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jan 24 20:19:42 UTC 2010

Not sure I appreciate the carrier or device censoring the user's
remarks, even in limited functions.  --rick

January 23, 2010 11:33 AM PST
How Google's Nexus One censors cuss words
by Chris Matyszczyk
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10440115-71.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
Some of you who have been basking in the beauty of your new Nexus One
Googlephone may not have tried out all of its delightful features.

And what I am about to tell you may lead you to utter some naughty
words. Please, go ahead. I have heard them all, in several different
languages. And I respect the vehemence of the vernacular.

However, your Nexus One will not be so charmed by the vigor of your
tongue. It will, dare I utter the word when referring to a product
from the newly emancipated Google, censor you.

You see, the pungently polite people at Reuters were playing with
their Nexus One when they noticed something about its built-in voice-
to-text feature.

Every time they said something naughty into the phone, the naughty
word came out as "####"--and not just "f---." It even censored the "S"
part of BS.

Reuters immediately called Google and screamed at them: "What the ####
are you miserable ############# playing at?"

Oh, perhaps I have stretched the boundaries of possibility with that
heartening notion. They probably asked a little more politely, given
that they secured a really quite ingenious reply from a Googleperson.

Apparently, the censorship is not because Google is trying to clean up
the world and turn it into the nicest parts of Alabama. No, the
company is worried about what might be transcribed.

"We filter potentially offensive or inappropriate results because we
want to avoid situations whereby we might misrecognize a spoken query
and return profanity when, in fact, the user said something completely
innocent," Google told Reuters.

Yes, the technology isn't quite perfect, so even the potential of a
misplaced curse is being avoided at all costs.

What interests me most is how Google chooses its list of naughty
nuances. Is there some poor engineer over at the Googleplex whose sole
task was to write software that immediately identifies expletive
expressions? Do they take account of those who swear in Spanish,
Italian, or, like me, Polish?

And if you say "For crying out loud" a little too quickly, might the
transcription come out with a four letter f-word (or rather four hash
marks) at the beginning?

One other thing. I have a Croatian friend. If I ever got a Nexus One,
I would like to be able to address him by his name. His name is Fuk.
Would his name be transcribed, every time, as ###? How sad.