[Infowarrior] - 'Shadow Elite': Information Is Power And Who's Controlling Our Information?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jan 23 15:42:29 UTC 2010

Gary Lyndaker

'Shadow Elite': Information Is Power And Who's Controlling Our
Information?

Janine Wedel's "Shadow Elite"--particularly her chapter on "U.S.
Government, Inc."-- struck a familiar chord with me. She writes that
our national and public interests risk being sold out because core
government functions like running intelligence operations, controlling
homeland security databases, and managing federal taxpayer monies
doled out under the stimulus plans and bailouts are being outsourced
to private contractors. Contracting is rampant: Today three-quarters
of people working for the U.S. government are not government employees
but private contractors. And it is no longer just printing and
cleaning and food services that are being contracted out; it is the
primary work of government.
Working for the last 17 years in information technology organizations
for Missouri state government, I have seen a similarly alarming (and
growing) trend on the state level. Over 25 years, as an information
systems developer, manager, and administrator in both state and
private organizations, I have increasingly come to the conclusion that
we are putting our state's operations at risk and compromising the
trust of the people of our state by outsourcing core government
functions. And outsourcing does not come cheaply.

Let me explain from inside the world of IT. You might think that IT is
one of those things like food services that can be easily spun off.
Not so. When we talk about information systems and IT, we are not just
speaking of geek technology. We are talking about the detailed mapping
of an agency's operations into data and automated processes, which
then embody and implement the functions of government. Information
systems--encompassing software development, maintenance, and
operations--hold the government's data, as well as the rules applied
to that data and the business processes that make up government
functions and services. These systems are also the source for most
decision-making reports and analyses that guide decisions (other than
those driven by politics or other power struggles). Almost always the
analysts, designers, and programmers responsible for the software know
the organization's business operations better than anyone else in the
organization. When the IT function is outsourced, governments are put
at risk. And so is the public's interest.

Here's why. In many of our agencies, at least one key software system
was developed by an external organization with little substantial
involvement from the state's IT staff. Once these systems are in
place, there may be no one in the state's IT organization who knows
the system well enough to maintain it. Thus I've witnessed, with
alarm, such instances as these:

	• Missouri's Medicaid agency has one of the largest budgets in the
state. Beginning more than two decades ago, the agency outsourced the
development and maintenance of the Medicaid payment system. The system
is maintained through a contract that has to be rebid periodically,
putting its operation at risk each time the contractor changes.
Moreover, the maintenance cost for this system is disguised from
public view (because its cost is recorded as a "Program Service," not
as an "IT Service") and I believe it is much more costly to taxpayers
than doing this work in-house would be. In FY 2009 this cost taxpayers
over $55 million--far more than was spent by any other agency on
information systems.

	• Across the state, other key systems have been developed or
configured by external companies and the dependence on those
contractors periodically comes to the surface. After only about six
years of operation of the state's accounting and human resources
system, the contractor that was originally paid tens of millions of
dollars announced that it was moving to a new technology and would no
longer support our installed version.  It has taken threats and
negotiations to maintain support by the contractor for the last few
years. There is still no long-term solution--and this is the state
accounting system!

	• After an unfavorable audit a few years ago, the Department of
Health and Senior Services found itself in a crisis situation. The
department's core public health system had been developed almost
completely by contracted programmers and funding for most of those
positions was cut off as a result of the audit. The agency had to
scramble to create state IT positions so they could retain some of the
development staff and their knowledge of the system. Had we lost those
individuals, the Department would have struggled to manage the primary
public health database in the state.

	• The Missouri Department of Revenue, which has been more "political"
than most departments, has a history of contracting for the
development of information systems, including vital tax systems. Some
of their development contractors are no longer in business, leaving
the agency with programs they can maintain only with difficulty. At
least one contractor knew it had the state in a compromised position
and made an exorbitant bid for a system upgrade. Another tax system is
running on a version of server software that is more than a decade
old. Others of their systems still require desktop software that is
out of date and cannot be supported much longer. Overall, it is hard
to justify the condition of the systems in this department and, of
course, the public has no idea of this situation.

	• Most recently, the Office of Administration acquired a software
system for tracking federal stimulus funds  distributed through the
state. For a few months this system appeared to be the most
politically visible program in the state. The software package was
configured and installed by a local contractor and subcontractor. They
did an excellent job considering the deadlines they had to meet. As in
most outsourcing situations, however, there was no time, and no
dedicated staff, to assure that in-house IT staff understood exactly
how to maintain the system. For any critical change or failure in that
system, the state has to rely on the original contractor and sub-
contractor to make corrections in a timely manner. But, the right
people may not be available when they are needed. Their first
obligation is to their business, not to the government.
Amazingly, Missouri was one of only three states given an “A” in
management of information by Governing Magazine in their 2008 state
rankings, so one can imagine the situation in most other states.
Missouri’s current IT leaders have indicated some intent to rely more
on in-house IT staff and are making other attempts to improve control
of IT systems. In addition, Missouri has often been fortunate to work
with reliable IT contractors who employ local people, including some
who have been state employees for part of their career, so the
expertise stays “local” and some loyalty to the state may be
preserved. But, if outsourcing expands or if different contractors are
chosen, our current good fortune may end.

Tight budgets and political forces are driving Missouri and other
state governments toward operating in an emergency mode and we respond
by privatizing more government work. As illustrated by the examples
given here, an increasing number of the people performing IT work are
not state employees and therefore do not possess the unique knowledge
of government functions and data and do not have the same priorities
and loyalties. In the long run, this can't help but undermine the
integrity and reliability of our government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-lyndaker/shadow-elite-information_b_432889.html