[Infowarrior] - Pilot's good op-ed on air 'security'

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 22 23:01:42 UTC 2010

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 20:21 EST
  Ask The Pilot
Emergency doors, karaoke bombers and other false alarms
When did we become such a nation of scaredy-cats?
By Patrick Smith
http://www.salon.com/news/air_travel/index.html?story=/tech/col/smith/2010/01/21/american_hysteria
This country needs to get a grip. We need a slap in the face, a splash
of cold water.

On Saturday, 57-year-old Jules Paul Bouloute opened an emergency exit
inside the American Airlines terminal at Kennedy airport. Alarms
blared and sirens flashed. Bouloute later told police that he'd opened
the door by accident.

Which is what you'd assume. Sure, the exit was clearly marked, but it
happens all the time, does it not? In office buildings, shopping
malls, hospitals and airports, well-intended people become distracted
and pass through restricted doorways. And you would think our airport
security force would keep this in mind and react accordingly, and not
with the assumption that every errant traveler is a terrorist poised
for mass murder. To the contrary, why in the world would an attacker
go around setting off alarms and drawing attention to himself?

Unfortunately, this is America 2010, and the response at JFK was
neither rational nor surprising. All of Terminal 8 was evacuated for
more than two hours. Police then swept through the building with dogs
and SWAT teams (because, you see, a terrorist wouldn't quietly drop an
explosive device into a trash barrel; he would first set off alarms,
in order to...?). Before being allowed back in, thousands of travelers
were forced to undergo rescreening at the Transportation Security
Administration checkpoints, giving guards a chance to snag any butter
knives or 4-ounce shampoo bottles they might have missed the first
time. Inbound planes were stranded on the tarmac and departures were
delayed for several hours.

Mind you, this was the third incident at New York airports in recent
weeks in which transgressions resulted in chaos and evacuations.

Bouloute, who had just come from Haiti, of all places, was arraigned
on charges of first-degree criminal tampering and third-degree
criminal trespass. He faces up to seven years in prison. I can't
imagine he'll actually be convicted, but the mere fact that we're
going through the motions is disheartening and embarrassing enough.

But what shocks me the most is that throughout all the coverage of the
incident, including numerous interviews with ticked-off passengers and
somber-voiced officials, not once has anybody raised the point that
maybe — just maybe — we overreacted. Everyone, instead, is eager to
blame Bouloute.

"As a result of the defendant's actions, thousands of people were
required to evacuate and to be rescreened by TSA, causing substantial
delays in the airlines' schedules," District Attorney Richard Browne
said in a statement.

No, I'm sorry, Mr. District Attorney, but that's not it. What caused
the delays and what hassled so many travelers was not the defendant's
actions, but our mindless and hysterical response to them.

The media and officials, in all possible gravity, keep describing the
incident as a "security breach." Not to harp on semantics, but am I
the only person who finds this silly? Granted I'm not privy to every
detail, but let me go out on a limb here: It was an accident. A simple
and minor accident. As Bouloute's attorney told reporters, "He just
walked through the wrong door."

How could he have missed all the red signs and placards? Who knows,
though bear in mind that Bouloute had come from Haiti, where three
days earlier an earthquake had killed or injured hundreds of thousands
of people, some of them, we have to presume, Bouloute's friends or
family.

Let's click our heels together and enjoy a bit of time travel. True
story: In 1996 a distracted individual opened a different restricted
door at Kennedy airport, setting off an alarm and feeling like fool
for doing so. That individual was me, Patrick Smith. Those were my
regional pilot days, and I was trying to find my way out to the bus
stop from the rat maze that is Kennedy's Terminal 3. It was dark and I
was exhausted and, well, pack me off to Gitmo, I pushed on the wrong
door. This particular "security breach" didn't make the evening news,
however. A guard came over, checked me out, and reset the bell.

What has become of us? Are we really in such a confused and panicked
state that a person haplessly walking through the wrong door can
disrupt air travel nationwide, resulting in mass evacuations and long
delays? "The terrorists have won" is one of those waggish catch-alls
that normally annoy me, but all too often it seems that way. Our
reactionary, self-defeating behavior has put much at stake — our time,
our tax dollars and our liberties.

And where is American Airlines in all of this? It has refused to
comment, citing the "ongoing investigation." Par for the course. When
was the last time you heard a carrier complain publicly about the
misguided policies of airport security?

And that's a shame. I realize that airlines are in a very tough
position. They face extreme liability issues and cannot be seen as
lobbying against security, even if what they're complaining about is
justified. And the airlines, remember, caught an awful lot of flak,
most of it undeserved, in the aftermath of Sept. 11. But at some point
they need to stand up. Needless security woes make their customers
angry and are one of the prime reasons that many people choose not to
fly. At times the industry's silence and squeamishness suggest a
business model of masochistic capitulation.

In Europe carriers have been feistier. After the foiled liquid bomb
plot in London in 2006, British Airways threatened to sue the British
Airports Authority over a draconian carry-on ban that resulted in
scores of cancellations and massive delays. A group of airlines led by
budget carrier Ryanair prepared a half-billion-dollar lawsuit against
the British government, hoping the threat of legal action would
inspire ministers to rescind some of the luggage restrictions,
described by Ryanair as "illogical and unworkable."

Eventually the rules were relaxed.

Never mind screening delays, how about the cost of unscheduled
diversions? Ever since 9/11, skittish fliers have touched off a plague
of in-flight false alarms. A passenger looks at somebody the wrong
way, and the next thing you know fighter jets are scrambled and you're
headed to Newfoundland. Aircraft are evacuated while canine units
inspect hundreds of suitcases. For an airline the trickle-down price
of such disruptions — fuel costs, crew costs, passenger misconnects
and downstream delays — can run well into the hundreds of thousands of
dollars.

Maybe the most appalling diversion story is the one from 2004
involving a United Airlines 747 bound from Sydney, Australia, to Los
Angeles. The plane jettisoned thousands of gallons of fuel over the
Pacific and returned to Australia because a discarded airsickness bag
was discovered with the letters "BOB" scrawled across it.

So, you ask, what is so nefarious about the letters "BOB," from the
perspective of a crew member who might find such a message? Don't ask
me, I'm just an airline pilot. "Baleful Old Bagels"? "Bob O'Brien"?
"Bauxite on Board"? I have no idea. United, though, for reasons that
defy any precedent or explanation, took the letters to mean bomb on
board, and — I am not making this up — went all the way back to Sydney.

As we know, terrorists are apt to advertise the imminent detonation of
an explosive device ahead of time by means of a cryptic acronym
scrawled on a barf bag.

And so on. How about the time in 2002 when military fighters were
scrambled because — get ready now — a group of karaoke singers were
seen chatting excitedly and pointing at the Manhattan skyline from the
window of an Air India 747. This was just one of almost 3,000 military
intercepts of civilian jetliners over North America since 2001. I
mean ... I just ... It's...

Calming down will not make us "less safe," as security zealots are
wont to argue. Quite the opposite, it would free up time and
resources, allowing us to focus on more credible and potent problems.

Meanwhile, somewhat related to all of this, late last week a U.S.
missile strike in Pakistan killed a man named Jamal Saeed Abdul Rahim.
A former member of the Abu Nidal terror group, Rahim had been one of
the FBI's most wanted fugitives, sought for his role in the hijacking
of Pan Am Flight 73 in September 1986.

Flight 73 had stopped in Karachi when a team of hijackers stormed the
Boeing 747. Pakistani security forces rushed aboard in a rescue
attempt, and the terrorists began shooting and lobbing grenades.
Twenty-two people were killed and more than a hundred injured. Rahim
and three accomplices were convicted by Pakistani authorities, but
they were eventually released.

The Abu Nidal group, today long forgotten, was busy in the mid-1980s.
A year before Karachi they killed 20 people in a pair of coordinated
ticket-counter assaults at the airports in Vienna and Rome.

Also in 1986 was the bombing of TWA Flight 840. As the 727 was on
approach into Athens, a bomb went off in the cabin, killing four people.

In fact, over the five-year span between 1985 and 1989 we can count at
least six high-profile terrorist attacks against commercial planes or
airports. In addition to those above were the horrific bombings of Pan
Am 103 and UTA 772, the bombing of an Air India 747 over the North
Atlantic that killed 329 people, and the saga of TWA Flight 847.

Flight 847, headed from Athens to Rome, was hijacked by Shiite
militiamen armed with grenades and pistols. The 727 then embarked on a
remarkable 17-day odyssey to Lebanon, Algeria, back to Lebanon, and
then back to Algeria. At one point passengers were removed, split into
groups and held captive in downtown Beirut. The photograph of TWA
Capt. John Testrake, his head out the cockpit window, collared by a
gun-wielding terrorist, was broadcast worldwide and became an
unforgettable icon of the siege.

I say "unforgettable," but that's just the thing. How many Americans
remember Flight 847? How many remember the Karachi murders? It's
astonishing how short our memories are. And partly because they're so
short, we are easily frightened and manipulated.

Here in this proclaimed new "age of terrorism," we act as if the clock
began ticking on Sept. 11, 2001. In truth we've been dealing with this
stuff for decades. Not only in the 1980s, but throughout the '60s and
'70s as well. Acts of piracy and sabotage are far fewer today.

Imagine the Karachi attack happening tomorrow. Imagine TWA 847
happening tomorrow. Imagine six successful terror attacks against
commercial aviation in a five-year span. The airline industry would be
paralyzed, the populace frozen in abject fear. It would be a
catastrophe of epic proportion — of wall-to-wall coverage and, dare I
suggest, the summary surrender of important civil liberties.

What is it about us, as a nation, that has made us so unable to
remember, and unable to cope?

Next time in "Ask the Pilot": Flying in Haiti