[Infowarrior] - EU's IP Negotiating Strategy With Canada Leaks

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 18 17:00:01 UTC 2010

EU's IP Negotiating Strategy With Canada Leaks: Calls 2009 Copyright
Consult a "Tactic to Confuse"

Monday January 18, 2010

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4704/125/

Canada and the European Union resume negotiations on a Canada-EU Trade
Agreement (CETA) this week.  The second round of talks comes as the
EU's proposed chapter for the intellectual property provisions leaked
last month, revealing demands for dramatic changes to Canadian
intellectual property law.  This would include copyright term
extension (to life of the author plus 70 years), anti-circumvention
rules, resale rights, and ISP liability provisions.

Now a second document has leaked, though it is not currently available
online.  The Wire Report reports that an EU document dated November
16, 2009, features candid comments about Canada and the EU strategy.
The document, called a "Barrier Hymn Sheet" leaves little doubt about
the EU's objective:

Put pressure on Canada so that they take IPR issues seriously and
remedy the many shortcomings of their IPR protection and enforcement
regime.

Having viewed the document, I can report that it goes downhill from
there, promoting the key message that Canadian laws are inadequate,
while liberally quoting a report from the Canadian IP Council and
discredited counterfeiting data.

The document states that the trade negotiations are a "unique
opportunity [for Canada] to upgrade its IPR regime despite local anti-
IPR lobbying."  It includes an assessment of recent copyright reform
efforts, noting that two bills have died due to "political
instability." The document adds that the copyright reform process was
revived in 2009 with the national copyright consultation, but notes
dismissively it may have been a "tactic to confuse."

It ultimately concludes:

our objective is to convince Canada to eliminate or reduce these
shortcomings, by conducting the necessary legislative or other
changes. However, optimism should be tempered since, despite pressure
from the USA, high level commitments from Canada, and our
commissioner's letter of April 2009, little concrete moves have been
observed in recent years.  We hope that the negotiation of the
bilateral CETA will provide a good opportunity to exert pressure on
Canada regarding the upgrade of its IPR regime

This document, combined with the leaked draft, provides ample evidence
of the intent of the EU to use CETA to pressure Canada to
fundamentally reshape our copyright and IP laws.  Although the
document discloses that IP was not discussed at the first round of
negotiations in Ottawa last October, it is clear that it is a high
priority future agenda item.  Indeed, the Wire Report reports that IP
is on the agenda for this week's negotiations.  Although the Wire
Report quotes a government official as saying that CETA will not
override the copyright consultations, when combined with the ACTA
talks that resume next week, the prospect of a made-in-Canada approach
may be quickly slipping away.