[Infowarrior] - Facebook requires McAfee for user clean-up

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 15 03:50:23 UTC 2010

(This sounds more to be a marketing deal so Facebook can up-sell
Mcafee products to its locked-in users.   And no, I am not on
Facebook.  -rick)

Facebook deal with McAfee forces computer clean-up
From: AFP
January 14, 2010 9:37PM

http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook-deal-with-mcafee-forces-computer-clean-up/story-e6frfro0-1225819430863
FACEBOOK has announced an alliance with internet security firm McAfee
to provide users of the world's leading online social network with
better protection for their computers.

Facebook users whose accounts are breached by malicious software or
other cyber attacks will need to have their computers cleansed by
McAfee before returning to life in the online community.

The users are also being offered free six-month subscriptions to
McAfee security software and then discounted prices for continued
service.

"If we get people's machines this protection, it is better for them,
for Facebook and the internet as a whole," Facebook director of
communications Barry Schnitt said.

Previously, Facebook simply reset passwords of members whose accounts
were hit by hacking, phishing, or other cyber-mischief and advised
members to have malware purged from their computers.

"We found that they wouldn't fix the problems and got infected again,"
Mr Schnitt said.

"Now, we've integrated a solution where they actually have to get
machines scanned and cleaned."

McAfee and Facebook have collaborated on a free tool for cleaning up
infected computers.

Facebook said it would not share in any revenue that McAfee makes from
security software or services.

"The common goal is to help protect users of the Internet globally,"
said McAfee vice president of marketing Brent Remai.

"We are pretty excited about this partnership."

Facebook selected McAfee after a competitive review process.

McAfee Internet Security Suite software is available to Facebook users
in Australia, Britain, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and the United
States. It will be extended to more countries in the coming months.

Facebook and McAfee cited research indicating that 78 per cent of
computer users do not have updated virus and spyware protections on
machines.

"By partnering with the market leader McAfee, we are taking an
unprecedented step towards making the entire internet more secure and
reducing the possibility of threats being brought onto our service by
unsuspecting users," said Facebook vice president of global
communications Elliot Schrage.

"Keeping the internet secure requires that users, security vendors and
internet companies all work together."