[Infowarrior] - Race/Gender info a 'trade secret'

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Feb 17 13:39:24 UTC 2010

Five Silicon Valley companies fought release of employment data, and won
By Mike Swift

mswift at mercurynews.com

Updated: 02/14/2010 08:47:17 PM PST
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14382477?source=most_emailed&nclick_check=1
Google, the company that wants to make the world's information
accessible, says the race and gender of its work force is a trade
secret that cannot be released.

So do Apple, Yahoo, Oracle and Applied Materials. These five companies
waged an 18-month Freedom of Information battle with the Mercury News,
convincing federal regulators who collect the data that its release
would cause "commercial harm" by potentially revealing the companies'
business strategy to competitors. A sixth company, Hewlett-Packard,
fought the release and lost.

But many of their industry peers see the issue differently. The
Mercury News initially set out to obtain race and gender data on the
valley's 15 largest companies, and nine — including Intel, Cisco
Systems, eBay, AMD, Sanmina and Sun Microsystems — agreed to allow the
U.S. Department of Labor to provide it.

"There's nothing to hide, in our view," said Chuck Mulloy, a spokesman
for Intel, which contacted the Mercury News to share its employment
data after learning of the newspaper's federal FOIA request filed in
early 2008. "We just felt that we're very proud of the (diversity)
programs we have in place and the efforts we put forth, and we don't
have any trouble sharing it."

Experts in the area of equal employment law scoffed at the idea that
public disclosure of race and gender data — for example, the number of
black men or Asian women in job categories such as "professionals,"
"officials

& managers" and "service workers" — could really allow competitors to
discern a big tech company's business strategy. A bigger issue, they
said, is the social cost of allowing large, influential corporations
to hide their race and gender data.

"One of the main ways that we track how society is doing in terms of
race relations, in terms of eliminating discrimination, in terms of
promoting diversity, is by looking at statistics," said Richard Ford,
a Stanford University law professor who is an expert in civil rights
and anti-discrimination law. "But if we can't get the data, we can't
know if it's a problem or not."

John Sims, a law professor at the University of the Pacific and an
expert in FOIA law, called the objections of Google, Apple and other
companies "absurd."

"The whole debate on affirmative action is based on the question, 'Is
racial discrimination a thing of the past, or is it still going on?' "
Sims said. "These companies are very interesting to look at, because
they are new and they are not just in the rut of what they were doing
50 years ago, because they didn't exist 50 years ago."

The Labor Department data ultimately obtained by the Mercury News
shows that while the collective work force of 10 of the valley's
largest companies grew by 16 percent from 1999 to 2005, an already
small population of black workers dropped by 16 percent, while the
number of Hispanic workers declined by 11 percent. By 2005, only about
2,200 of the 30,000 Silicon Valley-based workers at those 10 companies
were black or Hispanic.

In addition, among the roughly 5,900 managers at those companies in
2005, about 300 were either black or Hispanic — a 20 percent dip from
five years earlier. Women slipped to 26 percent of managers in 2005,
from 28 percent in 2000.

Companies such as Google and Apple are particularly crucial to study,
Ford said, because many of the nation's civil rights laws were written
in the 1960s for a different workplace than the information-driven
jobs of today.

The Mercury News initially asked the Labor Department to release so-
called EEO-1 race and gender data for the 15 largest companies ranked
by sales in the newspaper's SV150 Index.

Following an appeal lodged by the Mercury News against the six
companies that objected, the Labor Department released Hewlett-
Packard's data after the company failed, government lawyers said, to
provide a detailed objection "when we requested its views."

But the Labor Department accepted arguments filed by lawyers for
Google, Apple, Yahoo, Oracle and Applied Materials that release of the
information would cause commercial harm. The department declined to
share the text of the detailed arguments made by the companies.

"Such data can demonstrate a company's evolving business strategy,"
William W. Thompson II, an associate solicitor with  the Labor
Department, wrote in the agency's notification of its final action.

"The companies have articulated to us that they are in a highly
competitive environment in which less mature corporations can use this
EEO-1 data to assist in structuring their business operations to
better compete against more established competitors."

Google recently announced that it donated $8 million over the last two
weeks of 2009 to help underrepresented minorities follow careers in
technology, including the donation of laptops to more than 600 high
schools, and donations to groups such as the National Society of Black
Engineers.

Still, the company declined to release any racial or gender breakdown
of its 20,000 workers.

"As we've previously said, we don't release this information for
competitive reasons," a spokeswoman said.