[Infowarrior] - Open Security Foundation - State of the Union 2010

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Feb 6 18:15:52 UTC 2010

Open Security Foundation - State of the Union 2010
Posted by jkouns 12 hours ago

http://blog.osvdb.org/2010/02/06/open-security-foundation-state-of-the-union-2010

The Open Security Foundation (OSF) has grown from a humble beginning
in 2004 to an internationally recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit public
organization. Through the work of a small team of dedicated
information security enthusiasts, the Open Source Vulnerability
Database (OSVDB) and DataLossDB projects have provided organizations
of all sizes with the knowledge and resources to accurately detect,
protect and mitigate information security risks. OSF research is often
cited throughout the security industry and the organization was
honored by being named winner of the SC Magazine's Editors Choice
award for 2009.

To ensure the highest quality information that has become the
trademark of OSF, a tremendous amount of effort is expended on a daily
basis by OSF volunteers to process an ever increasing amount of data
loss and vulnerability reports. Over the years, many volunteers have
been involved in the projects, but for the most part the the heavy
lifting has been the work of only a few very dedicated volunteers.
The "open source" approach to resourcing the projects has been
successful to date but is now proving to be an unsustainable model.
With long-term sustainability and increased services as our goal, we
have initiated a comprehensive review of our current operations, our
existing approach to project funding and the creation of potential new
services for the security community.

As a start, we plan to do a better job of sharing our view on the
state of the information security industry and creating a mechanism to
gain community feedback to better establish our vision for the OSVDB
and DataLossDB projects.

To that end I want to take a moment to share our initial plans for 2010.

The OSF officers and project leads have been dedicated to the daily
operations required to make OSVDB and DataLossDB the recognized leader
in vulnerability and data loss tracking. This focused dedication has
left little time to take the pulse of the industry as it relates to
our projects or to establish a clear long-term vision for the
projects. To address this need, OSF will be creating an Advisory
Board. The board will consist of three to five senior leaders capable
of providing broad based perspective on information security, business
management and fundraising. It is our hope that this will provide a
sounding board when developing future plans, an open forum when
reviewing community feedback and a broader view when prioritizing
potential new services. Additional information along with an official
call for Advisory Board nominations is planned for 2/12/2010.

Direct unfiltered feedback from both the security community as well as
the organizations that benefit from our projects is critical. Over the
next few weeks, we plan to post a public survey asking for feedback
that will help shape our long-term vision and establish our near-term
plans for OSVDB and DataLossDB.  Those of you who value the work that
the OSF provides and/or consider yourselves friends and supporters of
OSF are asked to help spread the word to maximize the feedback provided.

Feedback from the survey will be the foundation for the OSF vision and
2010 plan. Our goal is to present a draft of both the vision and the
2010 plan to the newly formed Advisory Board by mid-April 2010. Once
finalized, both  documents will be shared with the information
security community.

OSF has been recognized for providing a critical service to the
information security community but our potential is much greater. We
look forward to hearing your ideas on how OSF can further improve the
state of security while building a stronger organization to deliver
even higher quality research and additional services.

We appreciate your support and if you are interested in working with
OSF please contact us at moderators at osvdb.org or
curators at datalossdb.org.

Jake Kouns
Chairman, Open Security Foundation