[Infowarrior] - Didn't The Entertainment Industry Insist ACTA Wouldn't Change US Law

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Feb 2 17:20:25 UTC 2010

But, Wait, Didn't The Entertainment Industry Insist ACTA Wouldn't
Change US Law?
from the then-what's-this-about? dept
It's been amusing watching the entertainment industry lobbyists try to
come up with talking points in support of their most favored trade
agreement du jour, ACTA. A popular one is that nothing in it can or
will change US law. But, of course, if you talk to the folks who know
how these things work in DC, you quickly learn that's hogwash. There
wouldn't be any ACTA at all if it wasn't out to change the laws, and
it wouldn't be so secretive if it was just designed to keep the status
quo. Case in point, not that we know for sure because we're still not
being told what's in the document, but various sources have confirmed
that "three strikes" legislation that would kick file sharers off the
internet based on accusations (not convictions) is on the agenda.
That's not in US law, and according to all the ACTA defenders out
there, it would be impossible for this to be on the agenda  because,
we're told, ACTA can't possibly change US law. Not at all. Except for
the parts that do seem to require changing US law.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100201/1822517995.shtml