[Infowarrior] - Is The CIA Hosting A Wikileaks Mirror?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Dec 10 20:34:54 CST 2010

Is The CIA Hosting A Wikileaks Mirror?

from the honeypot-or-not? dept

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101210/16462512242/is-cia-hosting-wikileaks-mirror.shtml

Whatis42? points us to an interesting post on Reddit, which is initially just highlighting a Google heatmap showing the locations from which people are searching for the term "wikileaks." Not surprisingly, the hottest spot on the heatmap is the Northern Virginia, Washington DC area. Shocking, I know.

But, perhaps more interesting is a comment on the thread, which notes that it appears at least one of the Wikileaks mirrors appears to be hosted by the CIA, or at the very least a company associated with the CIA using (for a time) a CIA netblock. The address, wikileaks.psytek.net no longer appears to be hosting anything (right now it just leads you to a standard Apache install page that says "It works!"). There's an interesting discussion in the Reddit comments over what this means -- ranging from everything to someone suggesting this is just a joke, to the "honeypot" question, to the one that seems most plausible to me: as a mirror that is quickly updated as Wikileaks puts up new documents, it allows the CIA to get access to what's being released as quickly as possible.