[Infowarrior] - Never Let the Terrorists Know How We're Storing Road Salt

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Dec 8 19:10:24 CST 2010

Never Let the Terrorists Know How We're Storing Road Salt

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/12/never_let_the_t.html

This seems not to be a joke:

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against the state after it refused to release the construction plans for a barn used to store road salt, on the basis that doing so would be a security risk.

[...]

Chiaffarano filed an OPRA request for the state's building plans, but was denied her request as the state cited a 2002 executive order by Gov. James McGreevey.

The order, issued in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, allows the state to decline the release of public records that would compromise the state's ability to "protect and defend the state and its citizens against acts of sabotage or terrorism."

Lisa Ryan, spokeswoman for the Department of Community Affairs, declined to comment on the pending lawsuit.