[Infowarrior] - How to Fight and Win the Cyberwar

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 5 20:49:17 CST 2010

Dear Mort:

We had a Manhattan Project for this stuff in the mid-90s.  Its report and findings have been the basis of every strategy, assessment, and policy review since that dealt with critical infrastructure, information security, and cybersecurity.   Oddly enough, the mid-90s initiative was called the "Manhattan Cyber Project".    But we're worse off now than we would have been if Those in Charge had listened to the PCCIP members (and others) who predicted these incidents would happen and emphasised the need for us to be proactive about dealing with them before they occurred   But that didn't happen.....just new reports, strategies, and policy reviews that rehash the PCCIP's recommendations every so often during the ensuing years.

These incidents you're talking about have happened not because folks weren't warned, but because there wasn't the multilevel components of the *national will* to make the appropriate and necessary changes to our infrastructure.  There still isn't, in my view.  And thus the problem remains.

Many of your other concerns and worries are at least ten years old, too.

-- rick

PS:  "Cyberterrorism" does not exist.  But ignorant fear-mongering sure does.

How to Fight and Win the Cyberwar
By MORTIMER ZUCKERMAN

< -- >

The task is of such a scale that it needs nothing less than a souped-up Manhattan Project, like the kind that broke the scientific barriers to the bomb that ended World War II. Our vulnerabilities are increasing exponentially. Cyberterrorism poses a threat equal to that of weapons of mass destruction. A large scale attack could create an unimaginable degree of chaos in America.

< - >

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989004575652671177708124.html