[Infowarrior] - Layman-"Hackers" Driving Up Searches for Beef Jerky

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 16 11:50:44 UTC 2010

http://attrition.org/security/rants/bing01.html

Mon Apr 15 22:21:12 EST 2010
By: d2d

A foreword is in order here: To all those people, including acquaintances,
who have thoroughly enjoyed the living hell out of ClubBing prizes, I
apologize if this causes you stress and discomfort. Fear not though, as I
doubt it'll bring about any substantial change, and I'm certain you'll
continue receiving your "Bing" branded crud in the mail on a weekly basis.
Unfortunately for me, I never got around to trying to build a "Bing" prize
room, but I can assure you that I've lived vicariously through watching
your bots run in the background every minute of every day. But I
digress...

Microsoft's Bing search engine has been steadily gaining ground since its
release last May, according to various media and blog reports. Some
articles cite a gain in market share by some 70% of the inherited market
share of Microsoft Live, Bing's predecessor. While it doesn't appear to be
taking share away from Google, it does seem to be chipping away at all
other ancillary search engines on its way up the rankings ladder.
Microsoft has invested some 100 million dollars in marketing for Bing, and
it seems to be more-or-less working.

There are, however, some other factors that might be boosting Bing's
search popularity. One of them is a bribery scheme called "Bing Cashback".
It's essentially "Google Product Search" (looks almost identical to it
too), only you get a percentage of cash back by purchasing items through
it. Nothing terribly revolutionary there, but it may be helping their
rankings.

A much more fascinating topic from a security perspective is their Club
Bing project.

[...]