[Infowarrior] - Congressman Blasts "Useless" Air Marshal Service

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 9 13:16:25 UTC 2010

(c/o DS)

(It's a year old article, but making the rounds this week, so I'll
join the herd and send out as well.  -rick)

Duncan Blasts "Useless" Air Marshal Service
June 19, 2009 12:00 PM
http://duncan.house.gov/2009/06/22062009.shtml

Washington, DC -- Mr. DUNCAN:  Madam Speaker, probably the most
needless, useless agency in the entire Federal Government is the Air
Marshal Service.

In the Homeland Security Appropriations bill we will take up next
week, we will appropriate $860 million for this needless, useless
agency. This money is a total waste: $860 million for people to sit on
airplanes and simply fly back and forth, back and forth. What a cushy,
easy job.

And listen to this paragraph from a front-page story in the USA Today
last November: “Since 9/11, more than three dozen Federal air marshals
have been charged with crimes, and hundreds more have been accused of
misconduct. Cases range from drunken driving and domestic violence to
aiding a human-trafficking ring and trying to smuggle explosives from
Afghanistan.''

Actually, there have been many more arrests of Federal air marshals
than that story reported, quite a few for felony offenses. In fact,
more air marshals have been arrested than the number of people
arrested by air marshals.

We now have approximately 4,000 in the Federal Air Marshals Service,
yet they have made an average of just 4.2 arrests a year since 2001.
This comes out to an average of about one arrest a year per 1,000
employees.

Now, let me make that clear. Their thousands of employees are not
making one arrest per year each. They are averaging slightly over four
arrests each year by the entire agency. In other words, we are
spending approximately $200 million per arrest. Let me repeat that: we
are spending approximately $200 million per arrest.

Professor Ian Lustick of the University of Pennsylvania wrote last
year about the money feeding frenzy of the war on terror. And he wrote
this: “Nearly 7 years after September 11, 2001,'' he wrote this last
year, “what accounts for the vast discrepancy between the terrorist
threat facing America and the scale of our response? Why, absent any
evidence of a serious terror threat, is a war to on terror so
enormous, so all-encompassing, and still expanding?  The  fundamental
answer is that al Qaeda's most important accomplishment was not to
hijack our planes but to hijack our political system.”

“For a multitude of politicians, interest groups and professional
associations, corporations, media organizations, universities, local
and State governments and Federal agency officials, the war on terror
is now a major profit center, a funding bonanza, and a set of slogans
and sound bites to be inserted into budget, grant, and contract
proposals.''

And finally, Professor Lustick wrote: “For the country as a whole,
however, it has become maelstrom of waste.'' And there is no agency
for which those words are more applicable than the Federal Air Marshal
Service.

In case anyone is wondering, the Air Marshal Service has done nothing
to me, and I know none of its employees. But I do know with absolute
certainty that this $860 million we are about to give them could be
better spent on thousands of other things.

As far as I'm concerned, it is just money going down a drain for the
little good it will do. When we are so many trillions of dollars in
debt, a national debt of over $13 trillion, we simply cannot afford to
waste money in this way.