[Infowarrior] - AMC: A new low for US television....

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 9 02:30:24 UTC 2010

So I am catching the final few minutes of 'Top Gun' on commercial cable channel AMC right now.

Question: when did cable networks start placing "perma-ads" on the bottom for upcoming shows?  As if the permanent channel bugs weren't bad enough (especially when they're animated) but AMC is placing full-text bugs reading "New Breaking Bad New Episode on DAY$ at TIME$" on the screen *permanently* during the movie. Not periodically, permanently. But that's not enough.  They also run QUARTER-PAGE, if not LOWER-THIRD-OF-SCREEN animated previews for "Breaking Bad" every 10 minutes or so during the movie.

Am I missing something here?  Is it AMC's goal to annoy the fsck out of its viewers?  Or did it change its name  to the  'Annoying Movie Channel' and forget to inform its viewers of the change? Good thing I have local copies of 'Top Gun' and other movies, where I can enjoy them uncensored, commercial-, and and advertisement-free.  You know, the way they should be watched.

This, of course, reminds me of why I watch so little broadcast/cable television anymore.  It's not for amusement or entertainment, but rather advertising.  I totally forgot.   :(

-rick