[Infowarrior] - Apple's insecure iPhone forced update

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 29 12:25:59 UTC 2009

Don't need it? Don't install it.Apple may have recently shoved an
unsafe update down your PC's throat, but the broader problem is Apple,
or anyone else, installing any unnecessary program on your PC.

Tags: Apple, iPhone Configuration Utility

http://www.itworld.com/security/79064/dont-need-it-dont-install-it

If you use any Apple program on Windows you may have noticed recently
a rather odd Apple Software Update dialog box telling you under the
Updates heading that you need the iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1. I
did, and my reaction was: "I do?" After all, I use an iPod Touch, not
an iPhone, and iTunes does just fine with managing it. Then, I found I
was also getting the notice on Windows PCs that I've never used with
my Touch. What is this?

A little investigation revealed that the iPhone Configuration Utility
is actually a tool for business system administrators to set up and
administer corporate iPhones . Even if I were using an iPhone, I'd
need that program like I'd need season tickets to the Detroit Lions.
So, I haven't installed it-and I really wish Apple would stop bugging
about it.

I didn't think anything more about it. I don't install programs I
don't need or plan on testing. Others though did and they discovered
that this completely unneeded Apple shovelware for 99.9999% of all
users installs not just a configuration program, but the Apache Web
server as well. For the tiny number of people who do need it, this
lets corporate iPhone users 'phone' in to the business Web server for
updates.

For the millions of everyone else having a Web server on your PC is
horrible security risk. It's hard enough keeping Windows secure, but
adding a totally unregulated Web server to the mix is like throwing
matches at a pool of gasoline.

What was Apple thinking!? Actually, I rather doubt they were thinking.
As Windows expert Ed Bott pointed out, Apple has long used "its
automatic update process to deliver massive amounts of new software to
users." That's often software you don't need, and in the case of the
iPhone Configuration Utility it's actively making securing your
Windows PC harder.

In general, I like Apple products, but I don't like anyone forcing
software on me. In fact, I recommend that people only install the
programs they need on their PCs. Every last program you install on PC
potentially adds what security experts call an 'attack surface' to
your computer. By this they mean that you may be adding a new weak
spot in your PC defenses.

A Web server, like the one Apple adding to you PC isn't a weak spot
though. It's a gateway just asking to be hammered on by an attacker.
Managed properly Apache is as safe a Web server as you'll ever find,
but ordinary PC users shouldn't try to manage it, and even an expert
can't do anything with it if they don't know it's there.

If you haven't installed this program yet, don't. You don't need it,
and you don't want it. If you have installed it, uninstall it with
Windows' control panel uninstall utility. On XP, that the Change or
Remove Program applet. So long as you're at it, you might want to get
rid of other programs that you never use. Unused programs make be
completely harmless, but they may also be security time-bombs. Stick
with just the programs you need and use, and you'll be a better off.

Finally, Apple? Stop pushing software on people! If we want it, we'll
download it ourselves. Thank you. Thank you very much.