[Infowarrior] - The Article Cash4Gold Doesn't Want You To Read

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 1 19:31:58 UTC 2009

The Article Cash4Gold Doesn't Want You To Read
2:11 PM on Tue Sep 1 2009, 7,507 views
By Ben Popken and Meg Marco
http://consumerist.com/5349663/the-article-cash4gold-doesnt-want-you-to-read

If you have any broken, ugly jewelry lying around in a drawer
somewhere, you've probably taken notice of a company called Cash4Gold
that promised to pay "top dollar" for your not-so-precious precious
metals. If you're like us, you might have even seen a post on
ComplaintsBoard.com by a former employee exposing Cash4Gold.

The whistleblower's post appeared on ComplaintsBoard last November. We
featured it this February, as part of our ongoing coverage of
Cash4Gold, after the company raised its public profile with a multi-
million dollar Super Bowl ad. The post was indeed written by an ex-
employee, Michele Liberis, who is now being sued by the company for
defamation. Recently, Cash4Gold added Consumerist and ComplaintsBoard
as co-defendants in its lawsuits (PDF) against Liberis and another
former employee, Vielka Nephew (PDF), in an attempt to force us to
take the information down. Liberis and Nephew have chosen to stand up
to Cash4Gold's legal attack, and so have we.

< - >

Just to be clear about the Consumerist's position, we consider this a
legitimate and even important news story. One core mission of a
consumer-oriented news site is to alert its readers to bad deals.
Everything we've learned about Cash4Gold's offer so far places it in
that category, in our view. That's why we have resisted the legal
efforts to silence our reporting, and why we've continued to dig into
the story, despite the company's lack of cooperation.