[Infowarrior] - Clarke: War From Cyberspace

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Oct 28 02:05:52 UTC 2009

War From Cyberspace
by Richard Clarke

10.27.2009

http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=22340
 From the November/December issue of The National Interest.

ON OCTOBER 1, just beyond the Beltway inside Fort Meade, a four-star
general became the first head of America’s new Cyber Command.
Subordinate to General Keith Alexander are the Tenth Fleet and the
Twenty-Fourth Air Force. The fleet has no ships, and the air-force
unit has neither aircraft nor missiles. Their weapons are ones and
zeroes. Their battlefield is cyberspace.

The mission of Cyber Command is to protect the U.S. military’s
networks and to be ready to launch offensive cyber attacks on a
potential enemy. Those offensive cyber attacks have the potential to
reach out from cyberspace into the physical dimension, causing giant
electrical generators to shred themselves, trains to derail, high-
tension power-transmission lines to burn, gas pipelines to explode,
aircraft to crash, weapons to malfunction, funds to disappear and
enemy units to walk into ambushes. Welcome to warfare in the twenty-
first century.

We have become accustomed to the pilots of Predator and Reaper drones
driving a few miles to their homes in Virginia and dinner with their
kids after having “flown” aircraft all day on the other side of the
globe, firing deadly Hellfire missiles into houses of terrorists in
Pakistan. That looks like war as PlayStation: death by joystick, no
risk of being shot down, no chance of capture. Now, with cyber war, we
have another means of launching attacks on the other side of the
world, this time with only a keyboard. In Vietnam and Iraq, U.S.
pilots were shot down while attempting to bomb enemy air-defense
missiles. Now, a cyber warrior might simply shut off an air-defense
network or cause missiles to explode on their launch rails, not by
using a laser-guided missile, but by activating a logic bomb. Cyber
war could well mean fewer casualties, less physical destruction.
Surely then, it is a good idea.

PERHAPS NOT. Much like sixty years ago when we first began to deal
with strategic nuclear weapons, we have neither outlined a clear
strategy nor had an open debate about how best to deal with this new
capability and this new threat. As former–Secretary of Defense Robert
McNamara discovered, without a real strategy for the use of strategic
nuclear weapons, we risked annihilation of both ourselves and our
enemies. The Strategic Air Command (SAC) had a simple plan: the United
States would perceive when the Soviet Union was getting ready to
attack us and then SAC would go first, launching all of its weapons
against all of its possible targets in the Soviet Union, China and the
Warsaw Pact nations of Eastern Europe. Horrified by that idea,
McNamara commissioned work that developed a strategy of deterrence,
including withholding attacks on cities, controlling escalation,
minimizing crisis instability and initiating nuclear-arms control.
Much of the development of that strategy was done in public, in
speeches by then-President John F. Kennedy and McNamara, and in books
by academics such as Herman Kahn, founder of the Hudson Institute, and
MIT professor William Kaufmann. This is exactly the kind of discussion
we need to have today. For it is not an overstatement to say that the
body of work on atomic strategy initiated in the Kennedy
administration probably prevented a nuclear war in which hundreds of
millions may have died.

We sit at a similar historical moment. War fighting is forever
changed. Though it will never produce the kind of death toll of
nuclear weapons, we can see echoes of these same risks and challenges
in today’s newest cyber-war battlefield. We’ve developed a plethora of
gee-whiz technological capabilities in the past few years, but cyber
war is a wholly new form of combat, the implications of which we do
not yet fully understand. Its inherent nature rewards countries that
act swiftly and encourages escalation.

AS IN the 1960s, the speed of war is rapidly accelerating. Then, long-
range missiles could launch from the prairie of Wyoming and hit Moscow
in only thirty-five minutes. Strikes in cyber war move at a rate
approaching the speed of light. And this speed favors a strategy of
preemption, which means the chances that people can become trigger-
happy are high. This, in turn, makes cyber war all the more likely. If
a cyber-war commander does not attack quickly, his network may be
destroyed first. If a commander does not preempt an enemy, he may find
that the target nation has suddenly raised new defenses or even
disconnected from the worldwide Internet. There seems to be a premium
in cyber war to making the first move.

And much as in the nuclear era, there is a real risk of escalation
with cyber war. Nuclear war was generally believed to be something
that might quickly grow out of conventional combat, perhaps initiated
with tanks firing at each other in a divided Berlin. The speed of new
technologies created enormous risks for crisis instability and
miscalculation. Today, the risks of miscalculation are even higher,
enhancing the chances that what begins as a battle of computer
programs ends in a shooting war. Cyber war, with its low risks to the
cyber warriors, may be seen by a decision maker as a way of sending a
signal, making a point without actually shooting. An attacker would
likely think of a cyber offensive that knocked out an electric-power
grid and even destroyed some of the grid’s key components (keeping the
system down for weeks), as a somewhat antiseptic move; a way to keep
tensions as low as possible. But for the millions of people thrown
into the dark and perhaps the cold, unable to get food, without access
to cash and dealing with social disorder, it would be in many ways the
same as if bombs had been dropped on their cities. Thus, the nation
attacked might well respond with “kinetic activity.”

Responding, however, assumes that you know who attacked you. And, one
of the major differences between cyber war and conventional war—one
that makes the battlefield more perilous—is what cyber warriors call
“the attribution problem.” Put more simply, it is a matter of
whodunit. In cyberspace, attackers can hide their identity, cover
their tracks. Worse, they may be able to mislead, placing blame on
others by spoofing the source.

In 2007, the Russian government denied that it had engaged in
primitive cyber war against Estonia that took out such things as the
financial-services sector, and in 2009 claimed it was not responsible
for largely identical activity against Georgia; though Russia did
concede that some of its citizens, outraged over the conflict in
Abkhazia, might have launched the denial-of-service attacks.

In July of this year, cyber attacks were launched against commercial
and government websites in the United States and South Korea. The
targets included the White House and Washington Post homepages. South
Korean intelligence officials blamed the North. The attacks, however,
seemed to originate inside South Korea.

For years, masses of data have been stolen from sensitive U.S.
government and defense-contractor computers in attacks that
investigators have code-named “Moonlight Maze” and “Titan Rain.” Which
nation—or nonstate actor—has repeatedly performed the brazen cyber
espionage has never been clearly established. What is clear is that
cyber warfare poses new risks that we have yet to fully grasp.

THE UNITED States thinks that its cyber warriors are the best at
offense, with the capability of shutting down enemy air defenses,
electric-power grids, rail systems and telephony. The United States
has probably already penetrated many such networks and laced them with
trap doors (ways to get back in easily) and logic bombs (software that
would wipe out everything on a network).

Such offensive prowess does nothing to defend our own networks from
similar attacks, however, and the current U.S. defense systems protect
only parts of the federal government, and not civilian or private-
sector infrastructure. No nation is as dependent on cyber systems and
networks for the operation of its infrastructure, economy and military
as the United States. Yet, few national governments have less control
over what goes on in its cyberspace than Washington. And these major
lapses in our defense present a threat we ignore at extremely high cost.

The possibility of an electric-power grid being hit by a cyber attack
is less far-fetched than one might think. A CIA official has admitted
that at least one blackout outside the United States was already
caused by a cyber attack. An Energy Department laboratory determined
that a cyber attack from the Internet could weave its way into the
digital control system of a generator and cause the device to self-
destruct. Officials have privately confirmed media accounts that logic
bombs have already been placed in America’s power-grid control
systems, presumably by foreign cyber warriors.

And this problem goes deeper still. The “critical infrastructure” of
the transportation, finance, energy and communications sectors are
owned and operated by nongovernmental entities, corporations that have
proven highly resistant to regulation. The Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission (FERC) issued new cybersecurity guidelines to U.S. power
companies in January 2008, requiring greater separation of the
operations systems from the public Internet. But it took two years for
these rules to go into effect (they start in January 2010), and many
critics do not believe that the FERC has the ability to audit
compliance. The leaders of those corporations, when asked about
cybersecurity, almost uniformly believe that they should fund as much
corporate cybersecurity as is necessary to maintain profitability and
no more. They will defend themselves against cyber crime. Defending
them against a cyber war, they all concur, is the job of the government.

Unfortunately, the government has no cyber-defense strategy. While the
cyber warriors of Fort Meade may take comfort in America’s reputation
as having the most potent arsenal of cyber weapons, they may be
members of the national cyber-war team with the lowest overall
capability. Indeed, America’s ability to defend its vital systems from
cyber attack ranks among the world’s worst. Some countries, like
China, have implemented plans allowing them to shut the limited number
of portals that connect their cyberspace to the outside world. Other
nations, like North Korea, have such limited cyberspace and cyber
dependence that there is almost nothing to defend. America’s
connectivity to the rest of the world is unlimited and controlled by
no plan or agency. If, as a result of a cyber-war attack, our power
grids failed, trains stopped and the financial sector froze, the
government’s response today would make former–FEMA Director Michael
Brown’s performance after Katrina truly look like one “hell of a job.”

While we do have Cyber Command, it has a defensive mission largely
limited to protecting the Defense Department. Cyber Command says
someone else needs to defend civilian entities, specifically, the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Unfortunately, DHS has neither
a plan nor the capability to defend private-sector infrastructure from
a cyber attack. Thus, electric power, gas pipelines, rail and air
transport, banking, food-distribution networks and other key systems
are defenseless against nation-state cyber attacks.

This asymmetry, in which we are developing offensive capability but
doing little to prevent a devastating cyber attack, began in the Bush
administration. In the last year of his eight-year presidency, George
W. Bush signed a national-security decision called PDD-54. That
directive, still classified, ordered steps be taken to improve the
security of the Department of Defense and other federal-government
computer networks. Critics say it did almost nothing to address the
weaknesses of the national infrastructure. President Obama launched a
sixty-day review of cyber policy in March, but it resulted in no new
major initiatives. He did announce the creation of a cybersecurity
position within the staff of the National Security Council (NSC). But
it has yet to be filled permanently. The new staffer will report not
only to bosses in the NSC staff, but also to Director of the National
Economic Council Lawrence Summers—who has vehemently criticized
government cybersecurity efforts in the past as imposing costly
burdens on U.S. companies, whose leaders supposedly know best what
level and type of cybersecurity they need.

When pressed about America’s lack of cyber defenses, several officials
privately suggested that there was no nation today that would want to
hurt us like that. If that philosophy were applied more broadly to the
defense budget, the nation could save hundreds of billions annually—
and be left entirely defenseless.

THE FACT that legislators and policy makers do not understand the
strategy issues surrounding cyber war may stem from the lack of public
discussion, absence of academic contribution, minimal media coverage
and insistence on unnecessary government secrecy. A multidepartment
effort this year to develop a cyber-war-deterrence strategy produced a
paper that is still labeled “secret.” The last time someone thought a
secret could deter an opponent was when 1960s movie character Dr.
Strangelove yelled at the Soviet ambassador that a deterrent weapon
only works “if you tell us you have it.” America was not sufficiently
deterred in that movie scenario (an air-force general launched an
attack which resulted in escalation into global destruction).

In the absence of a public cyber-war strategy, we do not know today
whether an air-force general could launch an effective cyber war. We
have not had the basic discussion of whether the United States is
better-off with the advent of cyber-war capabilities, or whether it is
we who will be deterred in the future by the threat of cyber attack on
our vulnerable infrastructure.

Although President Obama may not yet know it, his freedom to maneuver
in the world is likely already restricted by those vulnerabilities.
Perhaps in a crisis, someone will tell him. Or maybe he will learn it
by looking out the window at a darkened city after he has ordered a
bombing raid on Iran, or sent a carrier battle group to protect
Taiwan, or done something to irritate the Dear Leader of Pyongyang.

Maybe then he will ask policy questions such as: How does deterrence
work in cyber war when our capabilities are secret and our weapons
undemonstrated? Should we, because of our own vulnerabilities to cyber
attack, initiate cyber-arms-limitation talks, instead of our current
policy of opposing them? Can arms control work in cyberspace when
verification is so difficult? Strategic defense was not possible in
nuclear strategy, despite Ronald Reagan’s best efforts, but does that
also apply to cyber war? Can public discussion, international norms
and established lines of communication result in some sort of risk-
reduction process to address the issues of crisis instability that
seem to be inherent in cyber war? Are the generals and admirals at
Cyber Command more thoughtful than SAC’s leaders were at the advent of
the era of strategic nuclear war? We would like to think so, but in
the absence of public-policy development, the American people cannot
know the answer to that or to the many other questions that the
possibility of cyber war raises. It is time for that public discussion.

Richard Clarke was special adviser to the president for cybersecurity
in the George W. Bush administration. He is now chairman of Good
Harbor Consulting. His book Cyber War, coauthored with Robert Knake,
will be published by HarperCollins in the spring.