[Infowarrior] - Virginia Gun Laws vs. Sudafed

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Oct 20 16:47:23 UTC 2009

In the New Normal, in the name of fighting the 'war' on drugs, we must
fear running afoul of the Stuffed Nose Czar at the Department of
Homeland Congestion.  As some of you may know, this little gem was
buried in the USA PATRIOT Act back in 2001.[1]

The requirements, by the way, make buying Sudafed harder than buying a
gun in most cases:

Virginia Gun Laws vs. Sudafed
http://museice.blogspot.com/2009/07/virginia-gun-laws-vs-sudafed.html

When I get sick, I want medicine, not worry about whether or not Big
Brother is going to come arrest me because I purchased more than my
daily allottment of cold relief.  But that's the name of the game, as
recently as 2 weeks ago:

Sudafed Head: Indiana Women Arrested for Buying Two Over-The-Counter
Medicines Within a Week
http://tinyurl.com/yac3eae

To make matters worse,  the Sudafed folks halved the dose-per-pill
compared to the stuff I just ran out of.   So, you have a set amount
of meds you can buy per day/month and what you can buy is weakened so
you may run into that limit sooner rather than later, and thus be
viewed by the "system" as a criminal or drug merchant.  (And no, the
OTC substitute phenylephrine does NOT work as well as pseudoephedrine
now available only behind-the-counter.)

Thank you very much, Diane Feinstein.  I feel so much safer now.

[1] Patriot act makes it harder to get real Sudafed
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/11/17/patriot_act_makes_it.html