[Infowarrior] - More 'PATRIOT' Act nuttiness

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Oct 15 19:47:55 UTC 2009

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/0910/bass_disrupts_flight.html
David Bass – the Washington P.R. executive charged with a federal
felony for alleged drunken behavior on a flight into Washington Reagan
National Airport – says he was “out of it” on allergy medication and
did nothing more than demand a glass of wine.

“They refused to serve me wine because they said I appeared drunk,”
Bass told POLITICO Thursday morning as news that he’d been charged
under the U.S. Patriot Act rolled through Washington.

  Bass said he wasn’t drunk on the flight, but rather had been taking
Benadryl for an allergic reaction.

“I didn’t see any reason why I couldn’t get a glass of wine,” he said.
“I was extremely sleep deprived. I have a bad history of traveling
south.”

“The last thing I would ever be is a threat to anyone on a plane,”
Bass said.

Police met Bass’s flight when it landed at Reagan. In a sworn
affidavit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of
Virginia, FBI Agent David Wiegand said that Bass had appeared drunk
and abusive on the flight, demanding alcohol and refusing flight
attendants’ orders to sit down.

According to Wiegand, a flight attended “stated that Bass refused to
obey the instructions issued by the flight attendants and ‘disrupted
everyone’ in as much as he entered the aircraft's galley several times
and crawled over the person seated next to him in order to access the
overhead storage compartments and the aircraft's lavatory. [The flight
attendant] said that Bass’s behavior was so disruptive that [she]
moved the passenger seated next to Bass to a different seat.”

Among other things, the affidavit stated that Bass made “mean faces”
at flight attendants.

“I don’t know what a ‘mean face’ is,” Bass told POLITICO. “I make mean
faces to my five-year-old all the time.”

Bass was questioned at the airport and subsequently charged with a
provision of the Patriot Act that equates interfering with flight
crews with a terrorist act – a felony punishable by as much as 20
years in federal prison.

Bass appeared in court Tuesday and was allowed to remain free pending
further proceedings. His next court date is Oct. 27.

In a telephone interview with POLITICO, Bass said he had been in
Honduras on a business trip and hadn’t slept for three days before
boarding a Continental Airlines flight from Houston to Washington on
Friday.

“I was groggy . . . have you ever been sleep-deprived? It makes you
kind of wacky,” Bass said.

While the FBI agent’s affidavit said that Bass had assumed an
“aggressive posture” with police at the airport, Bass said the
incident was not confrontational at all.

“The officers were actually very nice. I had been joking a little bit,
talking to them,” he said. “It didn’t seem like reality to me.”

Bass said he offered to take a blood-alcohol test when he got off the
plane, but he said officers declined.

In a statement attached to the FBI agent’s affidavit, one of the
flight attendants said that Bass “stared at me the whole flight . . .
didn’t listen to anyone and argued everything and appeared unsteady on
his feet, upsetting everyone in first class, including me.”

Another flight attendant said the crew agreed that Bass should not be
served alcohol on the flight.

“I told Mr. Bass to take his seat as he was interrupting the [flight
attendants] from their duties by [repeatedly] getting up, standing in
the aisle . . . asking for drinks, staring at [the other flight
attendant], making mean faces. Even on landing, he was staring at her.
I could see she was intimidated by his stares.”

Bass, whose criminal case was first reported in the Washington
Examiner, appears frequently as a political commentator on television
and recently founded Raptor Strategies, a public relations firm with
energy, media and insurance clients. The firm’s slogan: “New Times
Demand New Strategies.”

“My clients know me better than this,” Bass said. “[My friends] would
probably say ‘Bass was joking a little more than he should have been.’”

Bass provided some consulting services for POLITICO’s parent company,
Allbritton Communications, during the publication’s start-up phase.