[Infowarrior] - Google: Show Me the Malware!

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Oct 14 12:38:41 UTC 2009

(Nifty and community-centric 'offering' here, eh? --rf)

Show Me the Malware!
Monday, October 12, 2009 3:53 PM written by Lucas Ballard
on behalf of the Anti-Malware, Anti-Malvertising, and Webmaster Tools
teams

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2009/10/show-me-malware.html

As part of Cyber Security Awareness Month, we're highlighting cyber
security tips and features to help ensure you're taking the necessary
steps to protect your computer, website, and personal information. For
general cyber security tips, check out our online security educational
series or visit http://www.staysafeonline.org/. To learn more about
malware detection and site cleanup, visit the Webmaster Tools Help
Center and Forum.

To help protect users against malware threats, Google has built
automated scanners that detect malware on websites we've indexed.
Pages that are identified as dangerous by these scanners are
accompanied by warnings in Google search results, and browsers such as
Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari also use our data to show similar
warnings to people attempting to visit suspicious sites.

While it is important to protect users, we also know that most of
these sites are not intentionally distributing malware. We understand
the frustration of webmasters whose sites have been compromised
without their knowledge and who discover that their site has been
flagged. We proactively offer help to these webmasters: we send email
to site administrators when we encounter suspicious content, we
provide a list of infected pages in Webmaster Tools, and we maintain a
service that allows webmasters to notify us when they have cleaned
their sites. Read more about this process in the previous post on this
blog.

We're happy to announce that we've launched a feature that enables
Google to provide even more detailed help to webmasters. Webmaster
Tools now provides webmasters with samples of the malicious code that
Google's automated scanners detected on their sites. These samples —
which typically take the form of injected HTML tags, JavaScript, or
embedded Flash files — are available in the "Malware details" Labs
feature in Webmaster Tools. Registered webmasters (registration is
free) of infected sites do not need to specially enable the feature —
they will find links to it on the Webmaster Tools dashboard.
Webmasters will see a list of their pages that we found to be involved
in malware distribution and samples of the malicious content that
Google's scanners encountered on each infected page. In certain
situations we can identify the underlying cause of the malicious code,
and we'll provide these details when possible. We hope that the
additional information will assist webmasters and help prevent their
visitors from being exposed to malware.

Malware details for your site

Malware details for a particular page

While we're excited to offer this feature, we caution webmasters to
use the tool only as a starting point in their site clean-up process.
Google's scanners may not be able to provide malware samples in all
cases, and the malware samples may not be a complete list of all the
malware on the page. More importantly, we advise against simply
removing the examples that are displayed in Webmaster Tools. If the
underlying vulnerability is not identified and patched, it is likely
that the site will be compromised again.

In addition to helping the webmasters of sites with malware warnings,
this new detail is also designed to promote the general health of the
web. In some cases, our automatic scanners find questionable content
on a site but do not have enough data to add it to the malware list.
The new "Malware details" feature will highlight these instances to
webmasters early on to help them identify and address security
vulnerabilities more quickly.

We hope you never have cause to use this feature, but if you do, it
should help you quickly purge malware from your site and help protect
its visitors. We plan to improve our algorithms in the upcoming months
to provide even greater coverage, more accurate vulnerability
identification, and faster delivery to webmasters.