[Infowarrior] - UK to create "Pirate Finder General"

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Nov 19 15:33:39 UTC 2009

(Hrmmm Medieval Law Merchants are coming back??? --rick)

BREAKING: Leaked UK government plan to create "Pirate Finder General"
with power to appoint militias, create laws

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/19/breaking-leaked-uk-g.html

A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me
reliable information about the most radical copyright proposal I've
ever seen.
Secretary of State Peter Mandelson is planning to introduce changes to
the Digital Economy Bill now under debate in Parliament. These changes
will give the Secretary of State (Mandelson -- or his successor in the
next government) the power to make "secondary
legislation" (legislation that is passed without debate) to amend the
provisions of Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988).

What that means is that an unelected official would have the power to
do anything without Parliamentary oversight or debate, provided it was
done in the name of protecting copyright. Mandelson elaborates on
this, giving three reasons for his proposal:

1. The Secretary of State would get the power to create new remedies
for online infringements (for example, he could create jail terms for
file-sharing, or create a "three-strikes" plan that costs entire
families their internet access if any member stands accused of
infringement)

2. The Secretary of State would get the power to create procedures to
"confer rights" for the purposes of protecting rightsholders from
online infringement. (for example, record labels and movie studios can
be given investigative and enforcement powers that allow them to
compel ISPs, libraries, companies and schools to turn over personal
information about Internet users, and to order those companies to
disconnect users, remove websites, block URLs, etc)

3. The Secretary of State would get the power to "impose such duties,
powers or functions on any person as may be specified in connection
with facilitating online infringement" (for example, ISPs could be
forced to spy on their users, or to have copyright lawyers examine
every piece of user-generated content before it goes live; also,
copyright "militias" can be formed with the power to police copyright
on the web)

Mandelson is also gunning for sites like YouSendIt and other services
that allow you to easily transfer large files back and forth privately
(I use YouSendIt to send podcasts back and forth to my sound-editor
during production). Like Viacom, he's hoping to force them to turn off
any feature that allows users to keep their uploads private, since
privacy flags can be used to keep infringing files out of sight of
copyright enforcers.

This is as bad as I've ever seen, folks. It's a declaration of war by
the entertainment industry and their captured regulators against the
principles of free speech, privacy, freedom of assembly, the
presumption of innocence, and competition.

This proposal creates the office of Pirate-Finder General, with
unlimited power to appoint militias who are above the law, who can pry
into every corner of your life, who can disconnect you from your
family, job, education and government, who can fine you or put you in
jail.

More to follow, I'm sure, once Open Rights Group and other activist
organizations get working on this. In the meantime, tell every Briton
you know. If we can't stop this, it's beginning of the end for the net
in Britain.