[Infowarrior] - A 'feel-good' label for 'at-risk' kids?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Nov 16 14:30:55 UTC 2009

OFFS, right??  -rf

A 'feel-good' label for 'at-risk' kids?
By Jay Mathews
Monday, November 16, 2009

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/15/AR2009111502189_pf.html
I sympathize with those who might not be comfortable with the latest
plan to rid our schools of at-risk kids. Several educators across the
country, including Alexandria Superintendent Morton Sherman, have
decided not to call them that anymore. Henceforth they will be known
as "at-promise" children.

"We use the term 'at-promise' in Alexandria City Public Schools to
describe children who have the potential to achieve at a higher rate
than they are currently achieving," Sherman said in a July 23 op-ed in
the Alexandria Gazette Packet. "Really, all children are at-promise,
because we, as educators, have made a promise to each and every child
that we will work toward higher achievement for all."

Cathy David, Alexandria schools deputy superintendent, said at a
School Board meeting last December: "The previous 'at-risk' model was
a deficit model that identified and categorized children by criteria
such as low income, special education, ethnicity or English language
proficiency, with the assumption that if the criteria fit the child,
then the child must have some sort of deficit. The 'at-promise' model
comes from strengths."

Word of this change has spread slowly. I first heard it a few days ago
from a teacher. I sought reaction from people I know who stay current
on educational trends. They weren't thrilled.

"This is a perfect example of school systems concentrating on feel-
good language instead of admitting that part of the problem of low
achievement is caused by the lack of motivation and effort on the
student's part," said Vern Williams, a nationally recognized math
teacher in Fairfax County.

Abigail Thernstrom, a McLean-based education scholar and vice
chairwoman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, said, "The schools
can change the rhetoric, but at the end of the day, all that counts is
what they actually accomplish."

Former Arlington County School Board chairman David Foster said "at-
promise" is "a politically correct term that conveys no meaning."

"The wordsmithing of 'at risk' vs. 'at promise' is an example of K-12
gobbledygook at its worst -- not only a distinction without a
difference but a really awkward phrasing at that," said J. Martin
Rochester, a political science professor at the University of Missouri-
St. Louis.

Still, Sherman and David are exemplary educators who are thoughtful
about their jobs. They knew they were going to get slammed for this,
as did other teachers who have adopted it. But they taught their
students to strive for clarity in speaking and writing, and "at risk"
wasn't doing that for them.

"At promise" has been floating around for at least a decade. The
earliest media reference I could find was in a September 1997
Associated Press article about a mentoring program for junior high
students in Norfolk, Neb. The term did not find fertile soil until
2004, when motivational speaker and educational consultant Larry Bell
used it often in a speech to a San Diego conference sponsored by
SIATech, a nonprofit group that runs 14 Job Corps training centers in
four states.

Two SIATech officials, Eileen Holmes and Linda Dawson, were so
inspired that they started holding at-promise conferences. Then they
established the Reaching At-Promise Students Association to spread the
notion that every child has potential to improve.

Attention-grabbing labels frequently blossom in the education world,
then wither away. This might be just one more. But that does not mean
that the people embracing it are wrong.

Educators accept without thinking many concepts that encourage
unhealthy policies. What about our focus on the achievement gap, which
urges improvement for minority students but implies that white kids
are doing well enough? Why not seek more achievement for all? Isn't
that what the at-promise concept means?

The educators who have adopted this buzz phrase will be getting more
than their share of taunting e-mails. At-promise students may lose the
label before they knew they had it. But the teachers I know who do the
most for kids are positive thinkers, just like the at-promise people.
Maybe we should be, too.