[Infowarrior] - OT: Catholic 'Church' politics

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Nov 12 13:17:40 UTC 2009

(if political views on religion bother you, move on now.)

If anyone had any doubts the Catholic 'Church' [1] is first and
foremost a political organisation interested ONLY in its own future,
here are two current examples from this week.  The first example is
particularly hypocritical given the 'Church's' belief of love-thy-
neighbor and much-pontificated work for social programs.

If the 'Church' wants to lobby the government, it needs to shed its
tax-exempt status.  As the Bloomberg commentator in the second article
writes, "It’s also worth recalling that those who oppose a public
policy on religious or any other grounds are free to do so in this
pluralistic country of ours. But forcing others to adhere to specific
religious beliefs who don’t share them by writing them into law is un-
American."

I'm gathering "love-thy-neighbor" is to be replaced with "love-thy-
neighbor, but only if they share your social views."  What Would Jesus
Do, people?

(Note: as with my political views, I have been a religious independent
since 2002)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled morning.

-rf

[1] I use quotes in referring to the Catholic 'Church' markedly.
Given the organisation's actions and history in recent years, you
really have to wonder.

Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html?hpid=topnews

"The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be
unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the
District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law,
a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church
helps with adoption, homelessness and health care."

and in a Bloomberg article on the House health care vote regarding how
Pelosi needed to offer an abortion amendment to curry favour with
conservative democrats:

Source:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=aZK3pEl6wih0

"That would be the Catholic church, the main force behind the anti-
abortion amendment sponsored by Michigan Democrat Bart Stupak. Pelosi
found herself negotiating with the U.S. Conference of Catholic
Bishops, whose members had been lobbying Congress for health reform
and against abortion and building support for their position through
churches around the country."