[Infowarrior] - MPAA: If We Don't Stop Piracy, The Internet Will Die

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Nov 4 00:52:06 UTC 2009

MPAA Tells The FCC: If We Don't Stop Piracy, The Internet Will Die
from the moral-panic dept
Never let it be said that the folks in Hollywood aren't good at coming
up with a totally fictional horror story. I just have a problem when
they use it not to entertain, but to create a moral panic to push the
government to pass laws in their favor. In discussing the recent 60
Minutes piece that was really nothing more than an MPAA scare tactic,
some suggested that it was really just a first step in the process of
getting the government to make sure net neutrality rules had a special
Hollywood exception. So, it's interesting to note that just before
that 60 Minutes episode aired (and just before Halloween), the MPAA
sent a "scary" filing to the FCC warning it how the US would always be
a broadband laggard if it didn't stomp out piracy. The full filing
(warning:pdf) claims, repeatedly, that piracy is sucking up all our
bandwidth and getting rid of that would somehow make it cheaper to
install faster internet connections.

(much more)

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091103/0434486780.shtml