[Infowarrior] - Who Controls the Internet?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 28 19:56:52 UTC 2009

Who Controls the Internet?
The United States, for now, and a good thing, too.
by Ariel Rabkin
05/25/2009, Volume 014, Issue 34

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/515zoozk.asp

In order to please our European allies and our Third World critics,
the Obama administration may be tempted to surrender one particular
manifestation of American "dominance": central management of key
aspects of the Internet by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Other
countries are pushing for more control. Early this year, British
cabinet member Andy Burnham told the Daily Telegraph that he was
"planning to negotiate with Barack Obama's incoming American
administration to draw up new international rules for English language
websites." It would be a mistake for the administration to go along.
America's special role in managing the Internet is good for America
and good for the world.

Internet domain names (such as www.google.com) are managed
hierarchically. At the top of the hierarchy is an entity called IANA,
the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, operated on behalf of the
Commerce Department. The U.S. government therefore has the ultimate
authority to review or revoke any decision, or even to transfer
control of IANA to a different operator.

Until now, the management of the Domain Name System has been largely
apolitical, and most of the disputes that have arisen have been of
interest only to insiders and the technology industry. IANA has
concerned itself with fairly narrow questions like "Should we allow
names ending in .info?" Commercial questions about ownership of names,
like other property disputes, are settled in national courts.
Political questions like "Who is the rightful government of Pakistan,
and therefore the rightful owner of the .pk domain?" are settled by
the U.S. Department of State.

There are persistent proposals to break the connection between IANA
and the U.S. government. In these schemes, IANA would be directed by
some international body, such as the United Nations or the
International Telecommunication Union, which coordinates international
phone networks. It is unclear what problem such proposals attempt to
solve. There have been no serious complaints about American
stewardship of the Internet, no actual abuses perpetrated by American
overseers. But were we to abdicate this stewardship, a number of
difficulties could arise.

Domain names sometimes present political questions. Which side in a
civil war should control Pakistan's Internet domain? Should
Israel's .il be suspended as punishment for its being an "Apartheid
state"? What about Taiwan's .tw if China announces an attempt to
"reabsorb its wayward province"?

Perhaps most serious, control of Internet names could become a lever
to impose restrictions on Internet content. Many governments already
attempt to control speech on the Internet. Some years ago, Yahoo! was
subject to criminal proceedings in France for allowing Nazi
memorabilia to be auctioned on its website. Britain, Canada, and
Australia all have mandatory nationwide blacklists of banned sites,
managed by nongovernmental regulators with minimal political
oversight. Such blacklists can have unpredictable consequences:
Wikipedia was badly degraded to British users for some hours because
of a poorly designed censorship system targeting child pornography.

If we give control of the Internet naming infrastructure to an
international organization, we must expect attempts to censor the
Internet. The Organization of the Islamic Conference will doubtless
demand the suppression of websites that "insult Islam" or "encourage
hatred," and a number of European countries may well go along.

Most countries lack our First Amendment tradition, and if we wish to
protect the free speech rights of Americans online, we should not
allow Internet domain names to be hostage to foreign standards. Many
other First World countries already have government-imposed
restrictions on Internet speech that we would not contemplate here.
Even if Internet governance were shared only with First World
democracies, they might urge and ultimately demand that domain
operators impose restrictions on content.

An international Internet-management organization could offer foreign
governments a way to impose restrictions without public debate. Rather
than having a political fight about the matter, governments might
quietly pressure international regulators to draw up and gradually
extend "responsible behavior" codes for online speech. This would
follow a pattern familiar in other global institutions: Governments
negotiate preferred policies without public participation and then
present the results as an international consensus, beyond political
challenge.

American stewardship does not mean the world must put its entire trust
in U.S. oversight. If the United States started using its privileged
role in ways that other governments found intolerable, they could
override this behavior. It would be technically straightforward for
foreign governments to maintain their own naming infrastructure and to
instruct Internet service providers to use it. This heavy-handed
government intervention in network operations, however, would likely
receive substantial public scrutiny. It probably would not be
undertaken unless the United States gravely misused its authority over
the Internet.

This same reluctance would apply to potential American responses to
censorship or mismanagement by an international organization. The
United States could, in theory, set up a renegade, uncensored
Internet. But there would likely be significant public distrust,
substantial political acrimony, and a great deal of hesitation. We are
better off keeping the public Internet free and leaving the social and
technical burdens on governments that want to censor. The present
system is thus perhaps the best way to prevent the naming system from
being used to chill online speech worldwide.

American supervision of Internet naming is not a historical
accident.Much of the world's telecommunications infrastructure was
developed by national post offices. Our unusual tradition of private
infrastructure development, including the railroad and telephone
networks, made America fertile ground for the development of the
Internet. We expect government not only to settle political questions,
but also to protect the freedom of private entrepreneurs as much as
possible. To the extent that the Internet is decentralized and self-
governing, it is so because Americans expect society to work that way.

It is natural for other countries to resent the privileged role of the
United States in Internet governance and to demand a greater measure
of control. But if we believe in free speech, we ought to keep control
of the Internet away from foreign governments that value it far less
than we do.

Ariel Rabkin is a Ph.D. student in computer science at the University
of California, Berkeley.