[Infowarrior] - CSAF memo ref: cyberspace operations

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 28 11:22:58 UTC 2009

From: CSAF <xxxxxxx at xxxxx.af.mil>
Sent: Wed May 27 14:42:46 2009
Subject: Cyberspace Operations Culture Change

Fellow Airmen,

In executing our Air Force mission of fly, fight and win, our Airmen,
civilians and contractors, knowingly or unknowingly, engage daily on
the cyber battlefield.  Computers and personal electronic devices
connected to our networks can simultaneously be powerful tools and
critical vulnerabilities. At times, our networks have been compromised
by multiple means:  Malware hidden in emails, virus-corrupted thumb
drives, and media moved incorrectly between networks. We can prevent
these events with due consideration and proper procedures, but in the
past, we've regarded network protection and security as the "comm
guy's job," and as a user inconvenience. This must no longer be the
case.

Today, we forge a long overdue Air Force cultural change. Cyber
operations reinforce and enable everything we do - from administrative
functions to combat operations - and we must treat our computers and
networks similarly to our aircraft, satellites and missiles. To this
end, operations and maintenance will follow standards governed by a
tight system of regulations and technical orders. Compliance with time
critical software updates will gain new emphasis and commanders will
be held accountable. Command and control relationships will be revised
to correctly align authorities and responsibilities.  MAJCOMs and
subordinate commanders will no longer "own" networks, but will be
responsible for their portion of the larger Air Force Global
Information Grid (AF-GIG).  Air Force Space Command will champion our
cyber force development and operations.

I have signed a directive memo making an unequivocal statement about
the importance of compliance with network related technical orders.
This guidance will improve safety and efficiency on the AF-GIG and
provide commanders a clear enforcement/disciplinary mechanism. MTOs,
NTOs, and CCOs issued by the AFNETOPS/CC now have the same authority
as aircraft maintenance technical orders and lawful general orders. I
expect this change will increase compliance with network technical
orders across the AF.

As Airmen, civilians and contractors, you must understand your
responsibility in this cultural change. Each time you use a networked
device, you are on patrol for our Nation. You must be alert for and
report suspicious emails, websites and suspicious attachments.
Mission needs may require you to "sneaker-net" information, but you
must follow safe and approved procedures for moving critical data. You
must not upload data from personal devices for any reason.  While
training programs communicate information on network security, we
depend on you to execute responsibly. When irresponsible acts occur, I
expect commanders to enforce our standards.

This change is not easy, but compliance enables us to defend our
networks - paramount in the face of increasing threats.  Networks are
a shared resource and a risk assumed by one is a risk exposed to all.
Our Air Force must move to a system of tight network control, personal
responsibility, and accountability as we execute our global mission on
behalf of our Nation.

NORTON A. SCHWARTZ
General, USAF
Chief of Staff