[Infowarrior] - The perfect geek age?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri May 15 12:28:59 UTC 2009

The perfect geek age?
May 14th, 2009 (Visited 3942 times) Tags:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2009/05/14/the-perfect-geek-age/

Was being born in 1971 the perfect time to be born a geek?

     * It meant I got to see Star Wars in the theater, 13 times, at
ages 6 and 7, exactly when it would overwhelm my sense of wonder.
     * I got an 8-bit computer at exactly the age when boys get
obsessive about details, and I spent days PEEKing and POKEing and
typing in listings from magazines and learning how computers actually
worked.
     * It meant at least half the new games I played were actually new
ideas.
     * And yet I got to play real pinball machines.
     * In real arcades.
     * New Wave science fiction was the used paperbacks laying around,
and I got to read cyberpunk and steampunk as they were invented, and
see SF when fandom was not yet a media circus.
     * I got to play D&D from as close to the beginning as most anyone.
     * And feel like I had inside baseball knowledge during the D&D
scene in E.T., which the other folks in the theater didn’t get.
     * I was there for when the X-Men were new and fresh
     * I got to high school when PCs were becoming ubiquitous.
     * I got to college when Macs were on Apple campuses, and actually
useful.
     * And when you had no choice but to use libraries for research,
so I actually learned what real research is.
     * And I was too young to feel cynical about Dead Poets Society.
     * I got onto the Internet after it was tiny, but before it was
mass market. So I got to see and use most of the tools and software
that were key to its evolution, as they were used, then replaced, then
discarded. Pine, gopher, Usenet, Mozilla…
     * I read Sandman when the issues first came out.
     * I got into the games business before it was mass media, but got
to ride the wave.
     * …and also got to see the Web unfold…
     * …and got Wikipedia and Google just in time for when I didn’t
need to use libraries anymore…
     * …and see some of the science fiction coming true.

Looking back on it, it makes me feel a bit sorry for those born ten
years later. And I can’t judge ten years earlier, but so much of that
seemed to hit at the right age. Looking back at history, it seems like
the last big waves of popular invention like this were decades ago.
Teens with hot rods? Engineering in the 20s? I see my kids now, and
they are so clearly getting the finished products of so much, not the
products in the process of invention… Am I wrong?