[Infowarrior] - Print Books Are Target of Pirates on the Web

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue May 12 12:07:24 UTC 2009

Props to Cory's quote @ the end!  -rf

May 12, 2009
Print Books Are Target of Pirates on the Web
By MOTOKO RICH
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/technology/internet/12digital.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

Ursula K. Le Guin, the science fiction writer, was perusing the Web
site Scribd last month when she came across digital copies of some
books that seemed quite familiar to her. No wonder. She wrote them,
including a free-for-the-taking copy of one of her most enduring
novels, “The Left Hand of Darkness.”

Neither Ms. Le Guin nor her publisher had authorized the electronic
editions. To Ms. Le Guin, it was a rude introduction to the quietly
proliferating problem of digital piracy in the literary world. “I
thought, who do these people think they are?” Ms. Le Guin said. “Why
do they think they can violate my copyright and get away with it?”

This would all sound familiar to filmmakers and musicians who fought
similar battles — with varying degrees of success — over the last
decade. But to authors and their publishers in the age of Kindle, it’s
new and frightening territory.

For a while now, determined readers have been able to sniff out errant
digital copies of titles as varied as the “Harry Potter” series and
best sellers by Stephen King and John Grisham. But some publishers say
the problem has ballooned in recent months as an expanding appetite
for e-books has spawned a bumper crop of pirated editions on Web sites
like Scribd and Wattpad, and on file-sharing services like RapidShare
and MediaFire.

“It’s exponentially up,” said David Young, chief executive of Hachette
Book Group, whose Little, Brown division publishes the “Twilight”
series by Stephenie Meyer, a favorite among digital pirates. “Our
legal department is spending an ever-increasing time policing sites
where copyrighted material is being presented.”

John Wiley & Sons, a textbook publisher that also issues the “Dummies”
series, employs three full-time staff members to trawl for
unauthorized copies. Gary M. Rinck, general counsel, said that in the
last month, the company had sent notices on more than 5,000 titles —
five times more than a year ago — asking various sites to take down
digital versions of Wiley’s books.

“It’s a game of Whac-a-Mole,” said Russell Davis, an author and
president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a
trade association that helps authors pursue digital pirates. “You
knock one down and five more spring up.”

Sites like Scribd and Wattpad, which invite users to upload documents
like college theses and self-published novels, have been the target of
industry grumbling in recent weeks, as illegal reproductions of
popular titles have turned up on them. Trip Adler, chief executive of
Scribd, said it was his “gut feeling” that unauthorized editions
represented only a small fraction of the site’s content.

Both sites say they immediately remove illegally posted books once
notified of them. The companies have also installed filters to
identify copyrighted work when it is uploaded. “We are working very
hard to keep unauthorized content off the site,” Mr. Adler said.

Several publishers declined to comment on the issue, fearing the
attention might inspire more theft. For now, electronic piracy of
books does not seem as widespread as what hit the music world, when
file-sharing services like Napster threatened to take down the whole
industry.

Publishers and authors say they can learn from their peers in music,
who alienated fans by using the courts aggressively to go after
college students and Napster before it converted to a legitimate
online store.

“If iTunes started three years earlier, I’m not sure how big Napster
and the subsequent piratical environments would have been, because
people would have been in the habit of legitimately purchasing at
pricing that wasn’t considered pernicious,” said Richard Sarnoff, a
chairman of Bertelsmann, which owns Random House, the world’s largest
publisher of consumer titles.

Until recently, publishers believed books were relatively safe from
piracy because it was so labor-intensive to scan each page to convert
a book to a digital file. What’s more, reading books on the computer
was relatively unappealing compared with a printed version.

Now, with publishers producing more digital editions, it is
potentially easier for hackers to copy files. And the growing
popularity of electronic reading devices like the Kindle from Amazon
or the Reader from Sony make it easier to read in digital form. Many
of the unauthorized editions are uploaded as PDFs, which can be easily
e-mailed to a Kindle or the Sony device.

An example of copyrighted material on Scribd recently included a
digital version of “The Tales of Beedle the Bard,” a collection of
fairy tales by J. K. Rowling. One commenter, posting as vicious-9690,
wrote “thx for posting it up ur like the robinhood of ebooks.”

For some writers, tracking down illegal e-books is simply not worth it.

“The question is, how much time and energy do I want to spend chasing
these guys,” Stephen King wrote in an e-mail message. “And to what
end? My sense is that most of them live in basements floored with
carpeting remnants, living on Funions and discount beer.”

Book sales are down significantly, and publishers say it is difficult
to determine whether electronic piracy is denting sales. Some of the
most frequently uploaded books, like the “Twilight” series, are also
huge best sellers.

Some authors say they just want to protect the principle of
compensating writers. “I don’t ask to get rich off this stuff,” said
Harlan Ellison, an author and screenwriter. “I just ask to be paid.”

Nine years ago, Mr. Ellison sued Internet service providers for
failing to stop a user from posting four of his stories to an online
newsgroup. Since settling that suit, he has pursued more than 240
people who have posted his work to the Internet without permission.
“If you put your hand in my pocket, you’ll drag back six inches of
bloody stump,” he said.

Others view digital piracy as a way for new readers to discover
writers. Cory Doctorow, a novelist whose young adult novel “Little
Brother” spent seven weeks on the New York Times children’s chapter
books best-seller list last year, offers free electronic versions of
his books on the same day they are published in hardcover. He believes
free versions, even unauthorized ones, entice new readers.

“I really feel like my problem isn’t piracy,” Mr. Doctorow said. “It’s
obscurity.”