[Infowarrior] - Should UK bank shock jock?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed May 6 12:20:12 UTC 2009

I think Weiner (I refuse to call him 'Savage') is a rabblerouser and
obnoxious, but this Brit is right ..... now they're looking to ban
folks for expressing their opinions?  ---rf

Should we be banning this US 'shock jock'?
Posted By: Philip Johnston at May 5, 2009 at 15:51:33 [General]
Posted in: Three Line Whip
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/philip_johnston/blog/2009/05/05/should_we_be_banning_this_us_shock_jock

The Home Office has issued the latest list of people it believes
should not come to the country because they hold extremist opinions.

It is a state's prerogative to decide who it wants to come to its
country. That is, after all, what a visa system is for. But those
banned from entry used to be people who were likely to cause public
disorder or who had criminal records. In the 1960s there was a row
when George Raft, the Hollywood actor, was refused entry because of
his alleged links to organised crime. Now we are more likely than not
to ban someone for what they think. The list of people banned over the
past six months includes a former member of the Ku Klux Klan, a neo-
Nazi, a Hamas MP, a Baptist pastor and his daughter barred for
homophobia and a Jewish extremist. Oddly, it also contains the name
Michael Savage, a US "shock jock" talk-show host whose views on Islam,
rape and autism have stirred controversy in America. By all accounts,
his views are pretty offensive; but is that reason enough to ban
someone? The test usually is whether the individual in expressing his
views would threaten public order. This is the justification given for
refusing entry to the American political leader Louis Farrakhan,
leader of the Nation of Islam. But to ban a radio presenter from a
democratic country where he is allowed to broadcast freely is a new
departure, as was the decision to refuse entry to Gert Wilders, the
Dutch MP, a few months back for wanting to show a film about the Koran
to British parliamentarians.

The Government claims Savage engages in unacceptable behaviour by
seeking to provoke others to serious criminal acts and fostering
hatred which might lead to inter-community violence. But is not the
real reason he is barred because he preaches dislike of other groups
rather than violence against them?

Home Office officials say Michael Savage, real name Michael Weiner,
holds abhorrent views on immigration, Islam, rape and autism, which
have caused great offence in America. That may be so. But are we now
banning people because we don't like what they think or say; or are we
accepting that anyone who responds violently to a view of which they
disapprove can effectively veto other people's right to free speech?

Now we learn that Savage may sue the Home Secretary for defamation. He
said he was outraged that he had been named alongside hate preachers
and a member of Hamas.

He said: "For this lunatic Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary of
England, to link me up with skinheads who are killing people in
Russia, to put me in (the same) league with mass murderers who kill
Jews on buses is defamation.

"I thought this was a joke or a mistake." He has a point. Jacqui Smith
said the people who were banned were those whose views the country
'would not tolerate'.

But who is she to make that decision? While it is the job of the Home
Secretary to ensure the security and safety of the nation, it is not
for her to decree what we should hear and to whom we should listen.