[Infowarrior] - Don't call it DRM

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Mar 25 02:36:49 UTC 2009

Don't call it DRM: Microsoft explains new gaming piracy tech

Microsoft sat down with Ars at GDC 2009 to announce its upcoming
additions to the Games for Windows platform, along with more
protection for publishers. They want you to know that this isn't DRM,
and they don't think you're a bad person. They just want you to buy
the games.

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated March 24, 2009 5:17 PM CT

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/03/microsoft-1.ars

Tuesday at GDC Microsoft announced a number of upcoming additions to
Games for Windows, including stronger protection against piracy, as
well as some nifty features to make playing your PC games simpler if
you have multiple systems. There will also be storefront support added
so publishers can add sales directly into their game. Drew Johnston,
the product unit manager for the Windows Gaming Platform, and Dave
Luehmann, GM for Microsoft Game Studios, described to Ars what these
updates will entail.

You can call it whatever you want—as long as you don't call it DRM.
"What we have is anti-piracy measures we've put in place. I wouldn't
quite categorize it as DRM," Johnston tells Ars. "We have zero-day
piracy protection—this helps reduce the leakage of IP before release.
The bits are encrypted, and there is a one-time activation that checks
to see if the game has been released or not, and we'll send out a
decrypt code so the game can be played."

So if you download a leaked version of a game, or even have a boxed
copy that was sold prematurely, you won't be able to play until the
game is unlocked online.

This doesn't help after the game is released; the technology will only
keep early copies from being enjoyed. "We've heard from publishers
that preauthorized release before streetdate can... they can lose half
the sales, the revenue of the game. This is specifically aimed at
helping reduce that for the publisher."

Johnston is incredibly understanding when it comes to gamers
downloading early versions of this game, which is a striking change
from the demonizing you hear from most in the industry. "They want to
buy the game, they're not pirates, these aren't evil people. They just
really want to play the game. If we can just keep that excitement
until street date, they'll actually buy. That's what we want to
provide."

The second part of this protection is making sure there is a license
attached to each account, via server-side authentication. You can sign
in and play your game on as many systems as possible, but you have to
have a license attached to your account. Of course, this only works
for online games, and is relatively useless for offline titles. "You
can install on as many systems as you want... whereever you want to,"
Johnston says. The game simply authenticates whenever you log into the
online servers. "This is really IP protection," he says, admitting
that DRM is a dirty word.

"Whereas traditionally DRM is really about copy protection, what we're
trying to do is license protection," Johnston clarifies. "Make as many
copies as you want!" Luehmann stresses.

They tell the story of a publisher who says they'd be the first person
to put the game on BitTorrent. "If you can't play the game without a
license, it solves my distribution service, I don't care," they quote
their source as saying. This again only works with online games, but
it's funny to think of publishers encouraging gamers to get the game
via BitTorrent, as long as they buy a key.

Game saves will also soon be saved in the cloud, so you can play, save
your game at one location, and pick it up at another. There will be
the ability to sell in-game items directly through the games. Does
this sound like any other PC gaming platform you know?

"We obviously pay attention to what Steam is doing... in some cases we
do compete with Steam, and in some areas we'd love to see them
continue to do what they're doing." They both stress that Steam is
great for the Windows Gaming ecosystem. "From a Windows platform
perspective? Steam is fantastic."

I ask about Games for Windows, and Games for Windows Live being more
deeply integrated into Windows 7 to get gameplay entwined into the OS.
"Say hello to my friend, the Department of Justice," Luehmann says,
laughing darkly.