[Infowarrior] - UK giving 60K citizens "terror" training

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 24 12:56:46 UTC 2009

  Thousands getting terror training

Thousands of UK workers are being trained to help respond to a future
terror attack as part of an updated counter-terror strategy, ministers
say.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said shop and hotel workers would be among
60,000 people able to deal with an incident.

The updated approach, aimed at tackling immediate terrorist threats
and the causes of extremism, would be the most comprehensive in the
world, she added.

But the Tories said not enough action was being taken against
extremists.

'Closed doors'

The Home Office's new counter-terrorism document - to be published on
Tuesday - will go into more detail than ever before in the interests
of public accountability.

It will reflect intelligence opinion that the biggest threat to the UK
comes from al-Qaeda-linked groups and will also take into account
recent attacks on hotels in the Indian city of Mumbai.

Ms Smith told BBC One's Politics Show: "What we're completely clear
about is that if we're going to address the threat from terrorism, we
need to do that alongside the 60,000 people that we're now training up
to respond to a terrorist threat, in everywhere from our shopping
centres to our hotels.

“ Tens of thousands of men and women throughout Britain... have now
been trained and equipped to deal with an incident ”
Gordon Brown

"We need to do it alongside the 3,000 police officers now working on
counter-terror and we need to do it with international partners.

"This is no longer something you can do behind closed doors and in
secret."

The paper - called Contest Two - will update the Contest strategy
developed by the Home Office in 2003, which was later detailed in the
Countering International Terrorism document released in 2006.

Over the last six years the strategy has concentrated on preventing
radicalisation of potential terror recruits to disrupting terrorist
operations, reducing the UK's vulnerability and ensuring Britain is
ready for the consequences of any terror attack.

The updated strategy will increase the focus on challenging
individuals and groups who undermine the UK's "shared values" - even
if they are not breaking the law.

'Daily business'

Gordon Brown said tens of thousands of civilians had already been
trained in how to look out for suspicious behaviour in crowded places
and to react in the event of an attack.

The prime minister told the Observer: "Today, not only the police and
security and intelligence officers and our armed forces, but also the
emergency services, local councils, businesses and community groups
are involved in state-of-the-art contingency planning.

"Tens of thousands of men and women throughout Britain - from security
guards to store managers - have now been trained and equipped to deal
with an incident and know what to watch for as people go about their
daily business in crowded places such as stations, airports, shopping
centres and sports grounds."

“ We have really got to do more to stop some of the fostering of
hatred that is still visible and present in our society ”
Chris Grayling, shadow home secretary

While the paper will look into the lessons learned from the November
attacks in Mumbai, it is not thought attacks are likely on hotels in
the UK.

The terrorism threat level, set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis
Centre, has since July 2007 been "severe".

Ms Smith said an attack was "highly likely" but stressed the UK was
"much better" at identifying threats, particularly international ones,
and foiling them than in the past.

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling welcomed some of the proposals
but said too little was being done to tackle the "root causes of
extremism".

Earlier this week, the Tories claimed the government had failed to
close down a single terror website since Tony Blair pledged action in
2005.

"The government is not doing enough to deal with some of the groups
who are potentially fostering extremism," Mr Grayling said.

"We have really got to do more, I think, to stop some of the fostering
of hatred that is still visible and present in our society."

One terrorism expert said equipping people to react quickly to an
attack in the workplace and in public areas was a "bold and
imaginative" step.

"There are thousands of people not only in the public sector but in
the private sector also who have the necessary knowledge and skills to
help in the constant vigilance that is needed against the terrorist
threat," said Professor Paul Wilkinson, from St Andrew's University.

By 2011, Britain will be spending £3.5bn a year on counter-terrorism,
the Home Office has said.

The number of police working on counter-terrorism has risen to 3,000
from 1,700 in 2003.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/7957431.stm

Published: 2009/03/22 11:41:00 GMT