[Infowarrior] - OpEd: Swiss Banks and the End of Privacy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 24 12:27:33 UTC 2009

Swiss Banks and the End of Privacy
Disclosure is the new social imperative.
By L. GORDON CROVITZ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123776401389908783.html

Since the Middle Ages, Switzerland has stood for bank secrecy -- or
bank privacy, as the Swiss would insist. In the past month, this
foundation of Swiss banking has collapsed under calls for
transparency, making Swiss banks seem as outdated as cuckoo clocks.
The nearly universal condemnation of Swiss banking is a sign of how
quickly our expectations about privacy have changed.

Under pressure from the U.S., Germany, Britain and other high-tax
countries, the Swiss agreed to abandon their longstanding protections
for depositors accused by their home countries of tax evasion. Until
now, countries had to present evidence of fraud, a more serious
accusation, before Swiss banks would turn over information about their
clients. Switzerland has long been the preferred location for private
banking, with more than $2 trillion of the $7 trillion in all offshore
deposits located in the country.

The law that the Swiss authorities agreed to change was passed in 1934
but had codified generations of previous practice ensuring
confidentiality. For many years, the global consensus was that the
benefits of banking secrecy outweighed the clear vices. It took almost
50 years before Swiss bankers agreed to look into deposits left by
Jews killed by the Nazis, eventually creating a $1.25 billion fund for
their heirs. The Swiss have taken other steps, including against
terrorists and money launderers, but the hard line against tax
complaints from other countries was considered unmovable.

Try as they did, the Swiss could not hold out in an era when the
presumption is becoming that information once considered off-limits to
others, including personal financial information, is fair game.
Regulators such as the Securities and Exchange Commission mandate that
compensation for top executives at public companies is made public.
The bailouts of financial services firms have made transparency even
greater for bankers and traders.

More broadly, online services from LinkedIn to Facebook and MySpace
are built on our newfound enthusiasm for disclosing details about
ourselves. Hundreds of millions of people now use these services,
creating an expectation of transparency. We expect to be able to learn
details online about people we haven't met. We may be approaching a
time when we become suspicious of those who don't contribute to these
kinds of social media, wondering what they have to hide.

In this environment, the Swiss adherence to confidentiality seems
quaint. Lost in the rejection of financial privacy has been the
important role Switzerland played for many years in the development of
Europe. Bank secrecy gave citizens from countries such as France,
Italy and Germany a safe haven for their earnings during times when
their governments pursued policies of currency devaluations and
controls, expropriation and confiscatory tax rates.

No one supports tax fraud, and Swiss banks have also long been the
refuge for tyrants and criminals. Still, Switzerland has been a public-
policy safety valve, limiting the tax rates that countries could
impose without their people finding ways to park their funds in
confidential accounts in Switzerland. The head of the Swiss Bankers
Association had argued that rather than blame private banks,
governments should look in the mirror: "Chronic tax evasion is a
symptom of illness in a state's relationship with its citizens."

The U.S., where tax rates are high and going higher, lobbied hard
alongside the Europeans for these changes. The largest Swiss bank,
UBS, last month agreed to pay a fine and to disclose the names of
several hundred American holders of Swiss accounts. Washington has now
asked for many more names.

Privacy got little respect in the debate over bank secrecy. The leader
of Germany's Social Democrats threatened the Swiss, warning that "in
the olden days, one would have sent in the troops." Swiss politicians
lost their cool, with a lawmaker from St. Gallen saying that pressure
from the German finance ministry reminded him of Germans "who walked
the streets in leather coats, boots and armbands 60 years ago." The
Swiss foreign minister twice summoned the German ambassador to
complain about "insulting and aggressive" language by the German
government and politicians lobbying for change.

Confidentiality remains part of the Swiss ethic, even now. Opinion
polls suggest the Swiss strongly oppose the changes, saying that
lowering the bar on secrecy undermines the core of what makes
Switzerland different. Swiss President Hans-Rudolf Merz had to assure
his country that Swiss banks still have advantages. "Protecting the
private sphere against unjustified government encroachment is deeply
rooted," he said.

Still, changes in Swiss banking are another sign that the increasingly
free flow of information is redefining our view of fundamental
concepts such as confidentiality. As the Swiss have learned, what was
once considered a right to privacy seems to be transforming into a
duty to disclose. We can know more, so we expect to know more.

Write to informationage at wsj.com