[Infowarrior] - Fear and the Availability Heuristic

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 23 18:23:09 UTC 2009

(c/o Schneierblog)

Mass Murder is Nothing to Fear
By Joshua D. Foster on March 16, 2009 - 2:14pm in The Narcissus in All
of Us

http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissus-in-all-us/200903/mass-murder-is-nothing-fear

Two terrible incidents of violence occurred last week. Michael
McLendon went on a killing rampage in Alabama that took the lives of
10 people before he killed himself. Half a world away in Germany, at
about the same time, Tim Kretschmer attacked a school and murdered 15
people before killing himself. All told, 27 people died in these two
incidents of mass murder.

The news media in the United States has spent enormous amounts of time
covering both incidents. We have not watched the German media, but it
too has probably focused a lot of attention on the two incidents. It
is probably safe to assume that news watchers in both countries have
received a healthy dose of mass murder during the past several days.

It will be interesting to see what results from these two incidents.
To the extent that the past is prologue, we should expect to see
plenty of public fear and extreme reactions from officials and
politicians. Both can be traced, at least to some degree, to a
cognitive shortcut called the availability heuristic.

We use the availability heuristic to estimate the frequency of
specific events. For example, how often are people killed by mass
murderers? Because higher frequency events are more likely to occur at
any given moment, we also use the availability heuristic to estimate
the probability that events will occur. For example, what is the
probability that I will be killed by a mass murderer tomorrow?

We are especially reliant upon the availability heuristic when we do
not have solid evidence from which to base our estimates. For example,
what is the probability that the next plane you fly on will crash? The
true probability of any particular plane crashing depends on a huge
number of factors, most of which you're not aware of and/or don't have
reliable data on. What type of plane is it? What time of day is the
flight? What is the weather like? What is the safety history of this
particular plane? When was the last time the plane was examined for
problems? Who did the examination and how thorough was it? Who is
flying the plane? How much sleep did they get last night? How old are
they? Are they taking any medications? You get the idea.

The chances are excellent that you do not have access to all or even
most of the information needed to make accurate estimates for just
about anything. Indeed, you probably have little or no data from which
to base your estimate. Well, that's not exactly true. In fact, there
is one piece that evidence that you always have access to: your
memory. Specifically, how easily can you recall previous incidents of
the event in question? The easier time we have recalling prior
incidents, the greater probability the event has of occurring - at
least as far as our minds are concerned. In a nutshell, this is the
availability heuristic.

Of course, any rational person understands that this method of
estimation is flawed. Just because you happened to see a clown get run
over by a dump truck yesterday and you can now easily recall this
event, this doesn't mean that this sort of thing happens all of the
time. Likewise, just because a plane crashed recently or two mass
murders occurred last week, this doesn't make these events any more
likely either. Nevertheless, studies on the availability heuristic
consistently show that we estimate the probability of events occurring
based in large part on how easily these events come to mind.

As this relates to the recent mass murders, it is likely that people
will become, at least for a time, more fearful that they or someone
they know will be the victims of the next shooting incident.
Politicians, whose jobs depend upon being in tune with the concerns of
their constituents, and who are likely themselves to overestimate the
likelihood of the next mass murderer coming to their towns, will
probably introduce heavy-handed policies, such as banning literature
that might incite the next perpetrator (police in Alabama discovered a
stash of videos in the home of the gunman that instructed how to, for
example, shoot from a moving vehicle). While these interventions will
likely have little to no effect on future occurrences of mass murder,
they will make people feel like something is being done to protect
them from the boogeyman that now seems certain to live in their
neighborhood.

Although there are many problems associated with the availability
heuristic, perhaps the most concerning one is that it often leads
people to lose sight of life's real dangers. Psychologist Gerd
Gigerenzer, for example, conducted a fascinating study that showed in
the months following September 11, 2001, Americans were less likely to
travel by air and more likely to instead travel by car. While it is
understandable why Americans would have been fearful of air travel
following the incredibly high profile attacks on New York and
Washington, the unfortunate result is that Americans died on the
highways at alarming rates following 9/11. This is because highway
travel is far more dangerous than air travel. More than 40,000
Americans are killed every year on America's roads. Fewer than 1,000
people die in airplane accidents, and even fewer people are killed
aboard commercial airlines. The bottom line is that being a passenger
on a plane being flown by trained professionals who are being guided
by a team of professionals (i.e., air traffic control) is much safer
than driving your own car on streets surrounded by other amateur
drivers who may or may not follow the rules of the road (and whose
cars may or may not be fit to drive). Nevertheless, I (JF) almost
always worry that my plane will crash, but I rarely even consider the
dangers of driving - and I teach the availability heuristic every
semester! It just shows how powerful this cognitive shortcut really is.

Back to the killings in Alabama and Germany...The probability that any
of us or anyone we know will ever become the victim of mass murder is
almost too low to imagine. If we focus too many resources on trying to
prevent this from ever happening again, we will likely expose
ourselves to more mundane but much higher probability dangers, such as
accidental shootings (which take far more lives than all of the mass
murders put together). And this goes for anything whose probability is
influenced by the availability heuristic (which is just about
everything).

Consider, for example, that the 2009 budget for homeland security (the
folks that protect us from terrorists) will likely be about $50
billion. Don't get us wrong, we like the fact that people are trying
to prevent terrorism, but even at its absolute worst, terrorists
killed about 3,000 Americans in a single year. And less than 100
Americans are killed by terrorists in most years. By contrast, the
budget for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (the
folks who protect us on the road) is about $1 billion, even though
more than 40,000 people will die this year on the nation's roads. In
terms of dollars spent per fatality, we fund terrorism prevention at
about $17,000,000/fatality (i.e., $50 billion/3,000 fatalities) and
accident prevention at about $25,000/fatality (i.e., $1 billion/40,000
fatalities). This huge imbalance tells us that our priorities are
seriously out of whack. (And don't even get us started on bigger
killers like heart disease!)

The take-home message of all of this is that we should be a lot less
afraid of many of the things that scare us. Yes, terrible things such
as plane crashes, terrorism, and mass murder do happen. Likely each of
these things will happen several more times before the year is
finished. But the good news is that the chances that any of us will be
affected by any of these events are so remote that we can safely relax
and not worry about them. To the extent that we do try to prevent
scary things from happening, we should put forth more effort to
prevent real dangers like car accidents, heart attacks, and diabetes.
Interestingly, many of the real dangers are things that we have a lot
of control over (unlike mass murder). Therefore, to the extent that we
try to prevent them, we might actually improve our quality of life.

(This post was co-authored by Ilan Shrira)