[Infowarrior] - Government 2.0 Meets Catch 22

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Mar 20 12:50:12 UTC 2009

March 17, 2009, 11:24 am
Government 2.0 Meets Catch 22
By Saul Hansell
Policy and Law

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/government-20-meets-catch-22/

“Do I need to P.I.A. Facebook?” said the perplexed bureaucrat squished
into a narrow basement hotel conference room in Washington DC.

P.I.A. stands for Privacy Impact Assessment, a procedure that federal
agencies must go through every time they create a new computer system.
It was one of many questions about how the government can use the
tools of Web 2.0 raised in a session of a privacy conference last week.

Organizations of all sorts have been trying to figure out how they can
adapt social networks, blogs, wiki’s and other Web tools to their
traditional operating methods in order to connect to customers and
partners.

But it is tough. “We have a Facebook page,” said one official of the
Department of Homeland Security. “But we don’t allow people to look at
Facebook in the office. So we have to go home to use it. I find this
bizarre.”

There are many other procedures at government agencies that aren’t
just tradition, they are the law.

For example, the mostly harmless feature of Facebook that allows users
to specify their religious and political views, may run afoul of the
Privacy Act. That law prevents the government from using the site
because a provision in the Privacy Act bans it from keeping records
related to how people exercise their first amendment rights.

“We are stodgier” than the private sector, said Alex Joel, the civil
liberties protection officer for the Office of the Director of
National Intelligence, who moderated the session at the annual meeting
of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the trade
group for corporate and government privacy officers. “We have our own
way of doing things.”

Speaking of the First Amendment, one person asked, does the government
have the right to remove offensive comments on a blog or social
network page? And if it does, must it keep copies of the deleted
material under the Federal Records Act and provide them to people
making Freedom of Information Act Requests? Yes, it can remove
comments that violate posted policies about decency and so on, and
yes, it must keep them for a specified time, other participants said.

Private companies are considering whether they should look at
someone’s Facebook and MySpace profiles before deciding whether to
hire them. Some government participants wondered if doing so would
require that the government file a notice under a provision of the
Privacy Act that requires it to disclose all of the “systems of
records” it uses to keep track of information about people.

Peter Swire, a former government privacy official who now teaches law
at Ohio State University, raised another question: anti-corruption law
prevents federal officials from receiving gifts of goods and services.
Does that prevent an agency from using software or services available
free on the Web?

Mr. Swire also pointed to legal pitfalls: federal computer systems
must be made accessible to the disabled. For example, they must have
captions on videos. Many commercial sites don’t meet these standards.
Moreover, the government generally isn’t allowed to endorse commercial
products. Mr. Swire said this could be interpreted to mean it can’t
use any sites that include advertising.

So far, these issues have not prevented at least some agencies from
experimenting with many forms of social media, although some have had
to ask sites to modify their formats. The Federal Trade Commission,
for example, does not allow advertising on its YouTube channel. (Craig
Newmark, founder of CraigsList, wrote Tuesday about government
officials organizing to use social media.)

The Central Intelligence Agency uses Facebook to recruit employees.
The State Department uses it as part of its “public diplomacy”
efforts, such as a page for the embassy in Jakarta.

But there are at least as many pages created on Facebook that are
about the agencies that are not officially sanctioned. “For every
Facebook page that represents itself as an official State Department
page, there is another unofficial page,” one participant said. The
government already maintains a list of all federal blogs, and some
wondered if it should do the same for social networking pages.

Officials at the session said they feel urgent pressure to get hip to
social networks, Wikis and such because of the open government agenda
of the Obama administration. But clearly there are a lot of rules and
regulations that need to be adjusted for this to work.